Lubrication...

Number18
Number18 Posts: 9
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Good evening all,

There seems to be an infinite number of grease/lubrication makes and types out there and I don't have a clue for what they are all intended. The only thing I have is Finish Line wet lube' I apply to my chain before each ride and after each bike wash (wiping away any excess).

In particular, I'd like to know what kind of lubrication I should use on the swing-arm pivots on my Ghost ASX 5500. They're creaking a bit and I'm off up to Scotland on Fri+Sat and it needs sorting before I go.

However, I'd also like to know what I should be doing after each bike wash. What sort of 'lube' should I be applying to which parts of my bike?

Any responses will be appreciated, assume I know nothing and you won't be far off!

Comments

• RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    I think my most used ones are CV grease, goes just about anywhere that requires grease (bearings, pivots and so on). Silicone oil goes on my stanchions for cleaning. I use a high weight Teflon oil for my chain.
    I don't buy any of this mountain bike specific stuff, its all just relabeled stuff at twice the price.
  • Number18
    Number18 Posts: 9
    Cheers Rob. I'll be calling at the bike shop on the way home!

Thanks