Daily commute

Mart74
Mart74 Posts: 111
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
I've done a couple of work commutes over the last week, 15 miles each way.

I've been getting up 30 mins early and having beans on toast before setting off. All seems to be going well but I did wonder whether it would be better for me to ride to work and eat breakfast after rather than before.

Any thought?

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Depends how you manage with eating that soon before setting off riding? If your OK with it and feel no ill effects then you can keep doing it or change to eating when you get there.

Personally i'm not that keen on eating a lot before and sometimes will have half a banana & chuck the rest in the bag for when I get there & then eat my breakfast when I arrive.

Don't think there is any right or wrong though & if you happy and can deal with it then you have the option to do either.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I have read its better to eat after an early morning ride. Something to do with the body burning off stored fat first I think? I usually eat after I've ridden to work when I occasionaly do.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Mart74
    Cheers for the replys.

I've had no ill effects from eating before but have heard somewhere (I think) about eating after is benificial. I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

The only thing i was worried about if eating after is having no energy for the cycle!
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    You should be fine for 30 minutes without but if in doubt gab a banana and eat on the way or before you ride.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    It could depend on what your goals are. If you looking to lose weight then 45-60 minutes fasted riding two or three times a week is a great way to train you body to burn fat for fuel more efficiently.
    However, if you're not looking to drop the weight but perhaps get fitter and faster then taking in some fuel before the ride may be the best option.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Mart74
    I'm definitely looking to loose weight so will try the fasted rides.

I guess fueling after is the key to weightloss? Would carbs be a good choice?
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    edited April 2013
    After the ride I would say a combination of simple carbs and protein to refuel and repair the muscles. At other times I would keep simple carbs like white bread, rice, pasta and potatoes to a minimum and eat sensible meals made up of complex carbs/veg, protein and good fats. Stay well clear of sugar!!!
    I lost 2 and 1/2 stone by cutting out rubbish/sugars without starving myself!
    Wish you good luck with it.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • You can't beat porridge before or after, topped off with a few blue berries - does the trick for my commute.
  • Mullet52
    Mullet52 Posts: 45
    Cardio upon waking with no food(fasted) does wonders for fat loss. The body has nothing for energy....so it uses fat stores. Just be careful as you can burn off muscle as well. I take BCAA's if I do cardio on an empty stomach.

For me I'll either eat and ride straight away or ride first and eat at work.

My breakfast consists of:

Black coffee
    100g oats
    2 eggs + 4 egg whites
  • Mart74
    Thanks again for all the replies, great info.

It looks like I've been doing things the wrong way round, always making sure I've eaten (fueled up) before the rides to make sure I've got enough energy to complete them. How does it work if you're doing a 3-4 hour ride? Would you eat a small amount before leaving and then top up with small amounts say every hour while out?

I can;t cycle to work again this week so will try a fasted ride early next. I'm hoping to go out for a couple of hours or more on Sunday morning. Maybe I should have a banana before going then eat something straight after?
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    For a 3-4 hour morning ride, I carb up the night before (pasta mountain) and then eat normally on the day itself. Usually have a bowl of bran flakes for breakfast (just my usual breakfast) and snack on a couple of fig rolls on the way round if I feel the need.

I've noticed huge differences in my stamina depending on what I've eaten the night before.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    My commute is 16m each way. I always now ride fasted in the mornings to work. I still eat a breakfast when I get there but it has had a dramatic effect on my weight. I have lost two stone over the winter since I started riding like this but I haven't really tried to cut back on calorie intake, it still hovers around 3000 a day. It's a quality 3000 though with plenty of fruit, veg, lean proteins and pulses. I never bonk on long rides and indeed seem to perform better towards the end of a ride when the hammer goes down for the club dash back to town.
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    Hello, my commute is also 16 miles and I normally eat as soon as I get in to work and plenty of fruit and veg during the day.
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    I was 120kg when I started commuting to work, now floating between 90kg and 84kg. That's just riding 10 miles a day 4 days a week on a mountain bike for two years. I did exercise three times a week - just 40 pushps, 30 swats and 40 situps. Found out that having the mixed cereal - that stuff with oaks, dried fruits, and other stuff would keep me until 11am (I leave out at 6:30am). Then I have an apple then its lunch at 12 noon. I love the new me!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk