Can anyone recommend a good value downhill/ full sus bike?

roadtraveller
roadtraveller Posts: 9
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
New to downhill racing and i've had a look around and they look very expensive why is this? And does anyone know where i can get a decent bike for between £500 and £1000?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Full sus easy enough, DH not unless you buy SH. Maybe.
    Decent set of DH forks can easily cost the thick end of £1000.
    Unless you don't really mean DH.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why are they expensive? Because to be vaguely competative you need something strong, light (ish) and with suspension that works, and brakes that stop you!

Last months MBUK had an excellent group test on entry downhillers, you're looking at £2200-2500 for one.

Do you really mean downhill? If you had done downhill racing then you would surely know the answers?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    DH race bike for under a grand?..think you're asking a bit much there

Have a look for a used Specialized Big Hit 2. Good, entry level DH bike but not a race bike by a long stretch. should be able to pick up a 2011 for about a grand.

They are no more expensive than any other high spec, full suspension mountain bike.

downhill/full sus :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    New to downhill racing and i've had a look around and they look very expensive why is this?

Because they have enormously complicated suspension, and have to be light and strong, amongst other things.
    And does anyone know where i can get a decent bike for between £500 and £1000?

As this question doesn't have the words "downhill" or "race" in it, I'll just suggest your local bike shop.