Controversial topic alert - 26er or 29er for my needs?

Basil Hume
Basil Hume Posts: 54
edited June 2013 in MTB general
I've currently got a 2010 Mk2 Cotic Soul - running 2009 DT Swiss XMC forks, 2012 XTR/XT running gear, Hope-based wheels and Thomson finishing. I also have a 2012 Cotic >X< for commuting and general road riding (105/SLX-based).

In looking to replace my Soul's forks, it seems that most options now have 1.5" taper steerers. This is seriously reducing my options without also replacing my existing Soul frame (1.1/8 steerer only) with a new taper-friendly frame, such as the Mk3 Soul.

If I'm going to be replacing the frame and forks, it seems reasonable to ask whether I should go over to the new 29er format? It would cost a bit more in terms of getting the drivetrain, rims and finishing right.

Since having kids, most of my riding consists of short blasts at my local man-made Ashton Court and Leigh Woods trails - i.e. quite tight, "flowing" trails without much in the way of fire roads. I'm 6'0 height and weigh 11.5 stone.

I know I should try a 29er, but that's quite hard given that I have no intention of purchasing a complete bike, limited time (those kids again) and my mates are all still on 26ers. :roll:

I'm veering towards straight replacement of my MTB and sticking with the 26er format. Any voices for or against? :)
Cotic Soul - Fox 32 RLC forks, XTR go, XT stop, Hope / DT wheels, Thomson / Easton / Hope finishing

Cotic >X< - 105 and SLX go, Avid stop, XT / Mavic disc wheels and Easton finishing

Comments

• milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    For what it's worth, most of the forks Merlin are selling seem to be 1 1/8th straight steerers.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    buy a new fork with the correct steerer for your cotic.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I would nt sell the Cotic for a 29er - but I'd buy a 29er as well! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    buy a new fork with the correct steerer for your cotic.

That.

If the trails you ride are genuinely tight singletrack then I'd stick with the Soul. I have a 29er but use it as my "mileage/XC" bike but as soon as I know I'm riding a properly fun, twisty trail then the 26 comes out to play.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    completely agree with lbs...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Basil Hume
    Basil Hume Posts: 54
    Just thought I'd update the thread to say that I found some heavily discounted Fox 32 RLC FIT forks, complete with 15mm QR and the magic 1.1/8 steerer.

Once the best of the summer's weather is out of the way, I'll be sending my Soul frame for a re-paint. I'll keep the forum posted. :)
    Cotic Soul - Fox 32 RLC forks, XTR go, XT stop, Hope / DT wheels, Thomson / Easton / Hope finishing

Cotic >X< - 105 and SLX go, Avid stop, XT / Mavic disc wheels and Easton finishing
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Ashton Court is hardly tight singletrack! Great excuse for a 29er as well!