Tiagra/105

Roadrookie
Roadrookie Posts: 25
edited April 2013 in Workshop
Sorry if this is stupid beginners question but my bike has mostly Tiagra (10spd) components but not the chainset or brake calipers which are FSA. I would like to uprate those and have seen some good prices for 105 parts, so I was wanted to know if 105 bits would be compatible my Tiagra? Also I reckon I can fit the brake calipers but how difficult is it to fit the chainset? Are there different fittings for different bikes (I have a Giant Defy and it has a FSA press fit bottom bracket, whatever that means).
Thanks

Comments

• Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    You'll probably need an BB shell adaptor to fit a Shimano chain set.
    I fitted a Tiagra chainset with a hollow tech II BB to my Allez and it was very easy. The Allez frame has a threaded BB shell though.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    I think you can get press fit Hollowtech II bottom brackets. Look on the Shimano web site or have a chat with your LBS.

If all else fails you can get you bb shell threaded but try the simple option first.
  • islandman
    islandman Posts: 73
    You'll definitely notice a brake upgrade, using better pads is the most effective way but you'll almost certainly not notice the crank swap unless you're looking at it OR your bank balance.