Very odd shop experience

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited April 2013 in MTB general
The other week I cracked my Hardtail frame and in the period between discovery of the crack and resolution (I got a new bike out of it), I looked at Plan B. Which essentially was the purchase a new bike....

Looking was fatal, and I fell in love with a carbon number and decided to get one specced up from a well known but independent reatailer. Could I get them to spec one for me easily? Could I f....

Anyway - Eventually another chap got onto the query, specced one up, made a couple of tweeks - all good. So I am all ready to buy.

They have 20+ bikes according to their website.

I appreciate that they are busy, and they said they would come back to me next week for payment. A week and a half has passed and still no word from them, despite emails and calls from me chasing them.

I can't get the frame anywhere else, as is an exclusive to them. And this is the bike I want. But it's almost like I can't give them my money!!

Which then makes me think...if I ever did get the bike and something went wrong....am I mad now to even consider buying it.

Not naming and shaming as it could all come good. I just find it to be a very odd predicament to be in, Especially in the current financial climate!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Despite the climate, it is not impossible that they are very busy.....any bust is a boom time for some!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Oh go on, name them :twisted: It's not like you're slagging them off properly. In all fairness they could be really busy and other people might be having similar experiences with them.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    There's always two sides to these kind of stories.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Don't forget the suns come out so all manor of cyclists will be coming out of hibernation, and into the LBS
  • Could just be very busy.

I phoned all the bike shops within 50 miles of me (except Halfords) & the earliest was 13th of May ranging to the 30th of May to have a bike built. Fortunately the guy at Alpine understood my predicament & I managed to wangle one next day.
  • Mccraque
    This has been ongoing since before Easter and before the sun coming out....
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    If i was the shop owner i'd be taking it home to build after work to get the sale if i was that busy!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'm going to guess at Freeborn.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I'm going to guess on one
  • Mccraque
    I'll give them a few more days. They're really nice on the phone.... I just want the bike now though!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    welshkev wrote:

Carbon..out of stock..friendly on the phone...I'm with the Welshman on this
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    welshkev wrote:

Carbon..out of stock..friendly on the phone...I'm with the Welshman on this

On-one/PX were my first thought too. I've had a few dealings with them in the past couple of weeks and they do seem to have been fairly busy recently. They're seem really nice guys though, were very helpful for me, just took a bit of time with regards to emails and getting round to replying to them.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Buid it yourself, it's an evening at most in your own time with limited tools. Just go and collect the parts.