Pain in the neck..........

Cliff22
Cliff22 Posts: 104
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
I went for my first long ride (30+ miles yesterday) in many years and suffered a lot of pain in my neck and around the top of my shoulders.
It felt whilst I was riding that my head was somewhat sunken into my neck and my shoulders were hunched.
Would anybody out there know what would be the cause of this? i.e bars too high or low, stem too long or short etc etc.

PS I rode on the hoods for the majority of the time.
Thanks

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I would say its just the time in the saddle for the first 30 miler, I had the same and don't suffer now. I am sure your body will adapt, but try to keep stretching yourself out form time to time.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    zx6man wrote:
    I would say its just the time in the saddle for the first 30 miler, I had the same and don't suffer now. I am sure your body will adapt, but try to keep stretching yourself out form time to time.

^-^ Agree with this. Could be partly set up, but as it was your first long ride would be more than likely that your over stressing muscles that have not been used in that way before. Try a few more rides and it it does not get any better then by all means consider changing your bike set up, but if it were me I'm let me body get used to the increased distance first and then look at the bike if it continues.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    First few rides I did I had quite a bit of neck ache but it soon passes as your body adapts.
  • If its any consolation, I'm in a similar position as yourself and just crept over 40 miles last week. After about 25 my neck really started aching and also across the shoulders,slightly more on R than L. Did another today and it was quite a bit better, so think, as above, you just need to let yr body to adapt.
    Keep us updated....
  • Cliff22
    Cliff22 Posts: 104
    Cheers guys,
    here's to a pain free future............
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Could always do some neck stretch's before & after your ride to help reduce any aches & pains.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Mart74
    Mart74 Posts: 111
    I'm in the same boat.

New bike 10 days ago, over 100 miles done so far and my neck does ache quite a bit. I'm hoping it will pass soon!
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Try and remember to move your head around every so often, like every 20/25 minutes. Just a little stretch to the left, stretch to the right, up , down and look left and right. Just helps to keep it all loose and reminds you if you are getting a bit tense and need to force yourself to relax around the neck and shoulder area.