Marzocchi Mx Comp seal change tool alternatives and advice

harrybarfield
harrybarfield Posts: 35
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Noticed one side of my forks were losing air on sunday so I have decided to service them and change the seals. Now I have the seals it seems (from the back of the pack) that I need a slider protector and seal press to do the job......Any alternatives out there? Any DIY how to's to change the seals as I've never attempted rebuilding forks before!

Thanks for any help,

Harry.

Comments

• gazeddy
    gazeddy Posts: 305
    you could use large sockets that sit on the outer of the seal
    I rode what you dug last summer
  • Good idea. do they really need to be pressed in hard or something? Having never attempted anything like this im sure to mess it up and leave myself without a usable bike. I'm not even 100% certain that I need these tools. I've read that they are 'open bath' and it's a very easy job on this particular fork!
  • gazeddy
    gazeddy Posts: 305
    i dont know myself to buy the seals and tools from my lbs is conveniently the same amount as they charge for a service so its getting serviced byt drivechain cycles instead of me cocking summit up
    I rode what you dug last summer
  • I'm half tempted to take it to the LBS but I like to have a go myself at most things. Plus that way next time it will be cheaper for me!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Take it to the LBS but ask them to demonstrate the process? A pack of biscuits or a six pack to go with the normal fee may well grease the wheels.....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.