Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Groupsets

neilochxneilochx Posts: 38
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
What exactly does a groupset consist of?

Is it Brakes and all gearing related components.

Sorry for asking such a basic question.

• wongataawongataa Posts: 990
    Brake & gear shifters, brakes, chainrings, cranks, bottom bracket, rear sprockets, front & rear derailleurs, front hub, , rear hub with freewheel, chain.

I think that pretty much covers it. I know the shimano website will tell you wha is in their groupsets. I'm sure SRAM and Campy do as well.
  • neilochxneilochx Posts: 38
    Cheers thats great, and what I thought, I bought a bike by post second hand that had a Campy groupset with Tektro brakes, a shimano rear cassette amongst other things. Never again.
  • cyclecliniccycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I bet that did not shift well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    wongataa wrote:
    Brake & gear shifters, brakes, chainrings, cranks, bottom bracket, rear sprockets, front & rear derailleurs, front hub, , rear hub with freewheel, chain.

As above minus the underlined items.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • jamesesjameses Posts: 653
    Bit odd that it came with a shimano cassette, but it's not unusual for a new bike to be supplied with cheaper brakes (often Tektro) to keep costs down.
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,015
    JamesEs wrote:
    Bit odd that it came with a shimano cassette, but it's not unusual for a new bike to be supplied with cheaper brakes (often Tektro) to keep costs down.

And fitted with good quality cartridge type pads there's nothing wrong with that from a performance perspective either.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • edhornbyedhornby Posts: 1,780
    check whether cables are included - sometimes they won't be but mostly they will

you don't get hubs
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • asprillaasprilla Posts: 8,440
    Rolf F wrote:
    JamesEs wrote:

And fitted with good quality cartridge type pads there's nothing wrong with that from a performance perspective either.

That depends. Tektro long drop brakes have more flex in the calliper arms that Shimano R650s and so don't perform anywhere near as well.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meesterbondmeesterbond Posts: 1,240
    edhornby wrote:
    check whether cables are included - sometimes they won't be but mostly they will

you don't get hubs

Hubs used to be considered part of the Groupset. Sometimes it also included the seatpost and pedals too.