105 rear hub fail

kiwimatt
kiwimatt Posts: 208
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
My lovingly assembled commuting handbuilts have crunched to a halt after only 2,000 odd miles. The drive side and freewheel were a mucky pitted mess - but the non drive side and front hub are shiny as new. Have I just been unlucky or has my maintenance regime failed on the freehub side? Haven't had them apart since new. Whole new hub is only £4 more than freehub body.. :shock:

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I would guess at a failed seal which is probably bad luck unless you have been pressure washing your drive side components. In which case, its your own fault. Chalk it down to experience and review your washing technique.

I may be completely wrong with all of the above.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • kiwimatt
    Nothing so feckless as pressure washing :) But sometimes a bit liberal with the GT85 round the cassette and mech area - wonder if this has had the same effect. Maybe just bad luck going to keep a closer eye on the replacement
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Totally could be that. Gt85 will thin/remove your grease really well :)
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    The freehub is also a B****** to remove, had a go at my 105 last night and decided to leave it there in the end.

Sounds to me like you may as well buy a new hub, nick the freewheel off it and keep the axels/cones/bolts/seals in the spares bin.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • kiwimatt
    Dav1 wrote:
    The freehub is also a B****** to remove, had a go at my 105 last night and decided to leave it there in the end.

Sounds to me like you may as well buy a new hub, nick the freewheel off it and keep the axels/cones/bolts/seals in the spares bin.

Have a fairly industrial 10mm hex wrench but you have to lean on it agreed - no suggestion it wasn't going to come off though! Whole hub ordered to cannabalise as you suggest - going to be a bit more watchful of the seals