Trouble with finding a stem size?

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi again, I have another question regarding buying a correct size stem for my Cannondale.

The last stem it had was a 80mm, 70 degree drop on the stem and I found the steering to be skippy and it was quite uncomfortable around roundabouts and overtaking others. I'm not sure whether this is my riding style or it was the geometry but it did end up with me almost losing the steering.

With my R500, I have a 56cm frame size and am running a short crown and my geometry is height: 182cm,inside leg: 82cm and arms like a orangutan.

Because I have a strictly limited amount of money I would like a stem to be under £25. (to pay for paints, 105 dérallieur and a carbon seat post)

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    80mm is pretty short for a road bike. It will make the steering more twitchy.

Have you tried longer stems? They might feel stretched out compared to a MTB but that's the way it should be. Usually you're looking at 110 or 120mm on a road bike.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    If youre looking for cheap stems try planet x. they usually have stuff going cheap
  • MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    I've already had a look at Planet X for a stem and I might go with them for this purchase.

There's a 120mm one that looks quite good for a tenner so I might go for that.

How much does it matter between say a 100mm and a 120mm stem?
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    MTB noob wrote:
    I've already had a look at Planet X for a stem and I might go with them for this purchase.

There's a 120mm one that looks quite good for a tenner so I might go for that.

How much does it matter between say a 100mm and a 120mm stem?

Quite a lot. It's probably a good idea to try the 120mm one and see how it feels.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    theres a pile of deda stems from 90 to 120 mm going for £25 mark on ebay all the time. If it doesnt work out you can move it on and buy a different one.
  • mr_joe0606
    mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
    is your saddle position right and can you see your front wheel hub? your handle bars should restrict the view to the front hub. also with saddle postion needs to be right the bottom off you knee cap should line up with the ball off your foot when your foot is in the 3oclock postion. lots off vids on youtube of basic bike fits. hope it makes sense joe.