Bib Shorts 100 mile ride

simonm8
simonm8 Posts: 25
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Evening all, im taking part in the london revolution in a few weeks time, 102 miles first day and 84 the next day..
Need some advice for some new bib shorts please.. less than £100 would be ideal..

Currently own a decathlon pair, which are ok, but am finding my rear end is painful around 25 miles.. although i think this might be my saddle and getting used to new bike, as only covered about 120 miles on it so far.. I do have a team sky pair (2012 kit) would these be ok for this distance? pad seems a little thin to me. or am i just be a wimp?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    How far do you normally cycle? If you're not doing distances your backside is going to hurt as you aren't used to it. Bigger or thicker padding doesn't mean more comfortable.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Lusso
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Have a look at the Craft Elite Bib Shorts, they're fantastic ! They're an excellent fit and the pad is one of the best I've used. I've certainly had no issues with comfort on longer rides, even with a saddle with minimal padding.

Wiggle have them for £90 at the moment.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-elite-bike-bib-short/

Ive just ordered another pair, highly recommended !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Spudboy
    Spudboy Posts: 101
    I have some Gore bibs which are nice but I hate to say it my Assos Mille are the best, most comfy shorts I have ever worn. They are pricey but you're obviously doing some distance and I don't think you'd regret the purchase to be honest. Primera Sport has 20% off at the moment too.

Rapha are also really nice but again comfortably over £100. Heard really good things about Shutt too, never tried them but will be under £100 I believe. Maybe worth a look if you really can't justify the Assos to yourself.

It took me a few years to realise this is one area not to compromise.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Assos Mille make 100 miles seem like a trip round the block!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,516
    having a 100 mile bum is going to be more important than 100 mile bib shorts

of the suggestions above, going for the assos may be a good move, the fi.mille_s5 pad is the most generous i've seen

remember to shift weight/position every so often, that should help stave off the point at which any discomfort develops, if you wait until you're aching it's already too late

don't forget the generous application of chamois cream beforehand
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Shorts are an individual thing, less so than saddles but what may be good for one may not be good for another.

For me I have recently tried these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-total- ... bibshorts/ that can be had for £116 by registering or changing your e-mail preferences.

The very first 20ish miles or so feel a bit squidgy but after that they are excellent. My other shorts (including Castelli Aero Free's) are going to be struggling for a look in now
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')