leaky fork

gazeddy
gazeddy Posts: 305
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
am i correct in thinking i will cause irrepairable harm by riding with a leaky fork?
i have swapped it but it leaves me commuting on a rigid. fork is being serviced this weekend
I rode what you dug last summer

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What is leaking from where? what fork?

Rigid for commuting sounds the right idea!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends.
    Commuting on a rigid doesn't seem like a major problem.
    Once upon a time we didn't have suspension on mountain bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gazeddy
    leaking from disc side oil seal. and my rigid fork isnt really a rigid fork its a seized solid rst aerosa but its only till saturday and i have got a car if it comes to it

and its a 2004 DJ3
  • The Rookie
    Do you mean the dust seal between lower and stanchions?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gazeddy
    oil is visible on disc side leg coming up stanchion and down the leg. i have no service history so im taking it in on saturday so i will know more then.
  • The Rookie
    No real issue, the amount of oil in there should be small and the seal is designed to prevent dust and dirt getting in rather that oil out (it is designed to leave a lubricating sheen.

If oil is obvious it's either been overfilled or you have debris under the seal suggesting it needs a service (and the debris may damage te stanchion) - either way sounds like service time.