Litter Louts

carthorse73
carthorse73 Posts: 34
edited April 2013 in MTB general
I was at llandegla last week and rode Pemanchno today. You can tell where the most popular places are to have a rest from all the empty gel sachets / plastic bottles / choc bar wrappers either on the trail or thrown in a handy bush. :evil:

Llandegla was especially bad, towards the end of the red trail on the switch back climb there's a sharp right hander with a fence on the outside of the turn. If you look down the gully behind the fence it looks like someone has emptied a bin bag down the hill. At Pemanchno there was loads of rubbish flung down the bank into the trees behind the car parking bays.

Why can't people can't just put than gel wrapper / bottle back in their camelback or pocket and find a bin at the end of a ride is beyond me. Rant over!
http:\\www.thedecliningcyclist.wordpress.com
One mans battle with mediocrity and his declining physical powers.........

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I put a very similar post in the mbuk section last month. Really pees me off!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Scum is scum.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    What's really weird is people can carry full stuff in, but not empty stuff out.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    This really annoys me too, i'm often tempted to pick it all up at the local trails, but I'd never fit it all in my bag...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I get fed up with it at Cannock, I can usually squash a couple of plastic bottles and crisp packets in the expanding/webbing bit of my pack. Afterall I'd rather pick it up and clean the trail up a bit than leave it there, but after a while you just get fed up.

It really amuses me when people dump punctured tubes, I'll happily take them and see if they can be repaired. Yeah, I know it's cheap, but a) I'm a student so I should at least attempt to use that as an excuse and b) it's better than leaving them lying around at the sides of the trail.
  • cooldad
    I help with a school MTB club on Saturdays. Halfway round some sweets are dished out. First time a kid drops a wrapper I suggest it's not nice to spoil the woods, second time I threaten to kill them. It rarely happens three times.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    edited April 2013
    cooldad wrote:
    I help with a school MTB club on Saturdays. Halfway round some sweets are dished out. First time a kid drops a wrapper I suggest it's not nice to spoil the woods, second time I threaten to kill them. It rarely happens three times.

My old physics teacher had a similar approach to people getting his name wrong, he'd threaten to break their jaw. He was a nice guy.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    They would be soon moaning if the trails got closed due to litter, there is no excuse for it, I just shove all my rubbish in my pockets, all my clothes are going to end up filthy anyway and in the wash, a few empty gels or wrappers arn't going to make it any worse.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I don't understand why anyone would drop litter, it usually takes up less room when whatever has been consumed!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    At one of the MTB marathons one year they were offering a discount on energy gels if you brought back an empty one to stop people littering. Seemed to work.

Maybe bring your old tube back and get a new one half price? Or 5 plastic bottles and get your car park fee refunded?

Totally open to abuse though...
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I picked up two discarded tubes at Lee last weekend (that weren't mine). Just binned them on the way home. I don't understand the mentality.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I get fed up with it at Cannock.

This weekend a Cannock it's folk picking up after thier dogs, and then leaving the little filled, plastic bags in the middle of the family trail.

Tossers.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Where is the sense is bespoiling the very countryside we are there to enjoy riding through?

Trouble is it only needs a very small minority to act like tw@ts, litter lingers for so long, to make it look an eyesore.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cj11
    cj11 Posts: 72
    Unfortunately this kind of thing will reflect on us all. In a sport thats not held in the best light by walkers etc you would think everyone taking part would do as much as they could to improve things. Cooldad hit the nail on the head though " scum is scum "
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Clank wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I get fed up with it at Cannock.

This weekend a Cannock it's folk picking up after thier dogs, and then leaving the little filled, plastic bags in the middle of the family trail.

Tossers.

I genuinely don't understand that.
    I understand that people are cnuts and just leave the dog eggs where they land - plain lazy.
    But if you have taken the effort to actually bag it up, why not just put it in a bin?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Where is the sense is bespoiling the very countryside we are there to enjoy riding through?

+1

Complete f.ing morons. And like others have said a very strange mentality...I've finished this drink...erm..throw it on the floor init?

I blame that parents. Dumb people breeding more dumb people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iluqmUGG6Yo
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • They were probably rushing to get home to watch X Factor or some other POS.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    cooldad wrote:
    Scum is scum.

+1
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690

+1

Complete f.ing morons. And like others have said a very strange mentality...I've finished this drink...erm..throw it on the floor init?

I blame that parents. Dumb people breeding more dumb people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iluqmUGG6Yo

That's superb :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I regulary take a bag with me and pick up some litter. At places like Llandegla I would need a Dumper truck to pick up a tenth of the crap that gets dropped.

Cooldad has it right scum is scum and people who leave baggies of dog egg hanging from branches deserve having a sharpened spoke inserted into them.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I often pick up the extra odd bottle or litter I see for the same reason as any one else - its ruining the countryside I am enjoying - whether I am skiing or riding litter on the trails makes my blood boil. That Joe Rogan bit is totally right - a bad mentality breeds more of the same.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    unfortunately where you get humans you get rubbish.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    I picked up a couple of empty bottles at Whinlatter earlier this week. Doesn't seem to be too bad there although I'm seeing more litter every time I go :cry: no idea why people can't just take it home.....morons.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive