Braking Issues

foxya3xx
foxya3xx Posts: 20
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all, was just wondering if I could get some advice.

I recently had a couple of upgrades made to my bike (Specialized Allez Elite 2011) including changing to Tiagra STI shifters from Sora and new Shimano Ultegra wheels. Since having the new parts fitted I've found myself having issues coming to a complete stop especially on any kind of slope. What I'm finding is that I am having to pull much further and harder on the brake lever than I had to previously in order to get the braking effect I desire, almost to the point where the brake lever is touching the handlebar. There doesn't appear to be any substantial wear to the brake pads and I have set the pads as close to the rim as possible using the barrel adjusters.

What I'd really like to know is whether it could possibly be something wrong with the way the new brake levers have been set up that is causing the lack of response or is it simply a case I need to MTFU and learn that i need to pull harder on the new levers?

Comments

• philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    are the wheel removal cans (don't know what the proper name is) open? If so close them

Do the pads seem a long way from the rim? Is so adjust the wear knob thingy till they are just clear
  • foxya3xx
    Brake quick release has definitely been down at all times and as I say I've adjusted the pads to be as close to the rim as possible without actually touching
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sounds like the cables need some adjusting. Did your LBS do it? In which case go back and tell them it ain't right
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    It's your shifters. Sora pulls differently from Tiagra. Bit late for me to check - I've some work to finish. However someone else will come on and advise. I will later if no one does.
  • Could it be the new rims need "breaking in" a little? Or, the pads arn't as effective with those wheels as they were with the old ones? I'm no expert, just trying to come up with a logical solution. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    foxya3xx wrote:
    There doesn't appear to be any substantial wear to the brake pads and I have set the pads as close to the rim as possible using the barrel adjusters.

This is your error. That is to make small adjustment for pad wear only.

What you need to do is wind that all the way back in (so you have maximum adjustment available) and pull the cable through more instead.

Plenty of vids on interweb to show you what I mean.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • foxya3xx
    smidsy wrote:
    foxya3xx wrote:
    There doesn't appear to be any substantial wear to the brake pads and I have set the pads as close to the rim as possible using the barrel adjusters.

This is your error. That is to make small adjustment for pad wear only.

What you need to do is wind that all the way back in (so you have maximum adjustment available) and pull the cable through more instead.

Plenty of vids on interweb to show you what I mean.

This appears to have done the trick, cheers Smidsy