Cannondale Trail SL 2 2011

karlsalter
karlsalter Posts: 6
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi I'm newish to MB and have only had £300 bikes before. I've found a CANNONDALE TRAIL SL 2 2011 (£549 was £900) but cant find any reviews. Does anyone have any experience/ is it a good model/ good price etc or would you look elsewhere? I have around £500 to spend.

Thanks for your honest feedback

The spec:

Frame Trail SL SAVE w/ threaded BB and 1.5" head tube, disc only
Forks RST Deuce Air 100mm Preload, rebound and lockout adjustment w/ 1.5" alloy steerer
Rear Derailleur Shimano SLX SGS 9sp
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore top swing
Shifters Shimano SLX 27 Speed
Chainset Shimano M4308 Octalink 44/32/22t
Bottom Bracket Shimano ES25 Octalink
Chain Shimano HG53 9sp
Freewheel Shimano HG50 11-32t 9sp
Headset Cane Creek 1.5" semi-integrated
Stem Cannondale C4 1.5"
Handlebars Cannondale C3 20mm riser x 680mm
Front Brake Shimano M445 Hydraulic Disc 160 rotor
Rear Brake Shimano M445 Hydraulic Disc 160 rotor
Rims Maddux DC 3.0 w/ eyelets 32h
Front Hub Shimano M475 6 bolt
Rear Hub Shimano M475 6 bolt
Spokes CN 15G stainless w/ brass nipples
Tyres Schwalbe Black Jack 2.1", 50 EPI wb
Saddle Cannondale Halo w/ steel rails
Seatpost Cannondale C4 31.6mm w/ zero offset
Pedals VP flat w/ alloy cage & toe clip
Grips Cannondale D2 dual-density

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good bike for the money, if it fits, go for it.
  • Macdory
    Macdory Posts: 113
    Ive just bought the 2012 29er - great bike

Review/comparison in the linky

http://mbaction.com/Main/News/26er-Vers ... -4713.aspx
  • Thanks for the advice guys, re fit im 6ft - that article you sent said the frame is good up to 5ft 9. The bike is online so cant really test. I was going to test out the 2013 (26) model in town you reckon the two are comparable in size so I can get a fell for the 2011 model?

Thanks again :)
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I used to have a 2011 SL3 (same frame). I'm 5 foot 8 and rode a medium, which was good for me. A large may be your best bet, but you'll really need to have a sit on one. I really liked mine, solid bike, and that's a good price.

The entire SL series has the same frame, so any model will do to try for size. 29ers might size differently to the 26 version, I don't know.
  • Ordered today!... Coming next week!... Up the woods next weekend!... :) Cheers for your advice guys :)
  • Karlsalter, can I ask how you felt the bike fitted? I'm also 6ft tall and looking into this bike. Did you get a large?
  • So here's the update, the bike came on friday. I've been on it every day since, mostly south downs (trails / wooded tracks etc) and commuting to work. And it feels perfect for me (6ft), very solid and a quality ride! I'm happy :)
  • Sorry I should have said I got a large (19").