pivot bolts/thru axle.

matt fairclough
matt fairclough Posts: 49
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I ride a cannondale rz 140,which is causing me ongoing stress atm :evil:
I took out the pivot bolts from the seat stay(to grease them),and now they
wont thread back in!
Also,I cant get the maxxle light thru axle out of the hub as it is far too tight.
Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I took out the pivot bolts from the seat stay(to grease them),and now they wont thread back in!
    At the shock link end or the swingarm end?
    Assuming you've removed the shock of course
  • at the swing arm end through the seatstay..
  • managed to sort that out,just released the shock at 1 end,
    still a bit of play coming from the back end though..
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Hmm if your bike is anything like mine the back end was assembled without any lubrication and it soon felt (and sounded) very tired.

I did the rebuild - i.e. took it apart and put it back together how it should be - over the space of a few weeks. I did the seatstay assembly first then the main pivot. That was probably sometime in 2010 it's been fine ever since. If you Google Cannondale 122175.pdf and 122174.pdf you'll soon find the documents.

The main pivot kit was about £20, the link kit £17 and the link itself (if it's worn) was £30 or so. Some of the parts are the same as the Prophet any Cannondale dealer should be able to sort you out or try http://qwertycycles.co.uk/.

cromwell.co.uk sell small amounts of Loctite 638 it was a couple of quid for 3ml that's all you need.

It's not a difficult job but it involves a fair bit of dismantling and re-assembly. Well worth the effort though.
  • OK,thanks for that mate,will try the Loctite and see how it goes for now.