Getting Back Into Cycling

CyclingMimi
CyclingMimi Posts: 2
edited May 2013 in Women
Hi, all.

I used to ride all the time, but then I'd sunk into a depression that I allowed to take away my will to cycle, or to do most other things. Now, though, I'm determined to get past that & to start riding again.

Since it's been a few years, & I'm at my highest weight ever, I'd like some tips, please, on getting back into cycling. It's something I love to do & want to keep on pedalling.

Thanks in advance for any help & tips that any of you can give me. :)

Comments

• poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    HI, welcome back to the cycling world.

Might be worth looking for a Breeze ride near you http://www.goskyride.com/Breeze/Index

They're a good, sociable way of getting into cycling and women only.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Good for you..I wouldn't worry about your weight at all..just start gently with minimal hills and nothing that scares you at all.Build up your distances slowly but surely. Look for women specific groups to hook up with which you may find a little more supportive. Where are you based? For example here in N.Wales there is a ladies sociable ride from Llandegla trail centre on the last saturday of every month. Good luck and most of all enjoy yourself!
  • Dan007
    Dan007 Posts: 10
    Take it easy for the first few times, and try to use quiet roads.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    My advice (if you haven't done it already) would be to talk to a doctor. That's helped me a lot, I should've done it a long time ago (medication's not a cure, but it's a big help in the short term, helping you get back on track). Exercise helps too (releases endorphins), which is part of the reason I decided to try starting to use the bike I've had hanging in the garage for the last few years.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Don't be put off or ashamed if all you can achieve at first is a 30 minute ride. We all started somewhere and it's important to build back up slowly.

Most of all don't be dead set on achieving a particular goal - set out to enjoy yourself first and foremost.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Second time I went out on mine I nearly gave up after 2 miles. Got to the top of a bridleway climb and felt like I was going to throw up. Sat down and drunk plenty of water for a few minutes until I felt human enough to carry on, but enjoyed it overall.
  • Sitter
    Sitter Posts: 40
    I've just started getting back in to biking, like said, start out small, don't push yourself too much to begin with or you'll just hate it. Where abouts are you in the UK?