Keeping the chain on

TheRollingDoorLAD
TheRollingDoorLAD Posts: 31
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, after a recent spat of faffing on my bike I ended up with a 1 x 9. I do enjoy it, it's a lot quieter and I like the simplistic look. However, the chain keeps dropping off and it's so frustrating! Must of dropped 10 times today, 3 times on one run!

So I need a way of making the chain more secure because I do enjoy using the single ring. I really don't want to get a chain device as my bike doesn't have ISCG tabs and adds weight! Preferably I'd like something like the Dangler on the Stumpjumper FSR but wouldn't know how to go about getting one. Any help?

Cheers
Part time weight weenie

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Your old front mech and. BB mount bottom roller.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • My old front mech doesn't seem to fit. The main reason I had to go 1x9. It came in contact with the frame as I had to move it down the seat tube. But I will look into the roller! Thank you
    Part time weight weenie
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bash ring and an N-gear jump stop, old front mech, chain guide like a Superstar or an inner and outer ring on the crank, that's your 4 options, a lower roller is helpful if you only have a top guide.

A roller won't sort the problem by itself.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.