How am I doing?

Lance9109
Lance9109 Posts: 35
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Evening all. Bought a road bike earlier this year and, whilst I have done quite a few sessions on my turbo trainer, I have only been getting out on the roads each Sat and Sun over the last 4 or 5 weekends or so. I managed 35 miles today in 2 hours. Prior to this I have been managing 20 milers including one yesterday. Ultimately I would like to get to 70/80 milers as it will enable me to consider North Wales, Cheshire and Shropshire beauty spots near to home and will no doubt really help with my weight and fitness - reason for beginning. I am 43, 5ft 6ins and was 13 stone when starting. Lost about 8lbs so far.

How am I doing? How quickly should I be aiming to increase on 35 miles and does anyone have any recommended ways to build up to this? Appreciate any advice. Thanks in anticipation.
2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 - Campag Veloce and Zonda wheels
2014 Storck Scentron G2 - SRAM Force 22 and Mavic Ksyrium SLS wheels

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    edited April 2013
    No 2 people are the same, no 2 routes are the same and no 2 rides are the same. Increase your mileage as you feel you can, some days you will feel like you can't go any further, others you will feel like you could do another 50!

It will come at the rate your body and the routes you pick allow.

1. Bike fit, is your bike setup for you?
    2. Maintenance, is the bike in tip top condition, plenty of air in the tires etc.
    3. Pick your routes so you enjoy it and can do a bit more if you feel you can
    4. Join a local club, learn new routes and ride with others door both shelter and companionship

Edit: I forgot hydration and fuelling. A good breakfast (porridge) or a healthy meal (pasta) 1 hour before riding and drink well (orange juice and water 50/50) for example.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well if your doing 35 miles in 2 hours then I would say your doing extremely well.Keep doing what your doing and build up the miles gradually and pace yourself the further you go.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Lance9109
    Sincere thanks both - some great tips and words of encouragement.
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    Hi lance,

That's great progress and mileage your doing, very well done !
    Which routes do you do on the Wirral, I'm currently doing rides around willaston.

Well done again.

Tony
  • Lance9109
    Cheers Tony. Small world! Live Heswall area so doing Willaston area too. Tend to head out along the Dee via Lowe Heswall, Parkgate and Burton as far as Queensferry then head back via Capenhurst, Willaston, Thornton Hough. Helps that brother in law is Triathlon training so drags me along a bit! We're lucky - great bit of world for cycling?
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Lance well done on the hard work so far.

As for increasing the distance I tend to find that if I do the same route but know that part way round I can add in a little loop of a few miles extra then I do. Once you do that a just keep adding in little loops one ride a a time and you will quickly find that your original 20 mile route suddenly has doubled in length. As long as your sensible at the lengths you add in say 5-10% is a good bench mark but sometimes you might feel stronger and get caught up in the moment and find that you can easily exceed that %.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • FlacVest
    FlacVest Posts: 100
    Lance9109 wrote:
    Sincere thanks both - some great tips and words of encouragement.

If you don't have the time, I would suggest keeping your rides around 40 or so miles, and then work on doing those faster. By conditioning your body to put out HIGHER wattage over x time, you'll build strength. You'll build muscle. That will make you faster. When you go back to ride a longer distance, you simply ride a slower speed and you'll be able to handle that distance, easily.

But that's pretty good now; 35 miles at a 17.5 avg? Or is it a pace? Work on holding 20 the entire ride.
  • Lance9109
    Cheers guys - again some really useful hints and tips. Thx for taking the time - much appreciated. Great to be able to get good advice from those with more experience on here. :D