SRAM Apex front derailleur problem

paulbnix
paulbnix Posts: 631
edited April 2013 in Workshop
I have a Boardman Team Comp road bike with a SRAM Apex groupset - except the front derailleur is actually Microshift.
The issue I have is that if I have the outer stop adjusted so that the chain moves from the smaller (34) to the larger (50) chain wheel then there is a good chance it will overshoot.
I am now good at rescuing the situation by quickly changing down and manouevering the chain back onto the 34.
I did have an issue with the bike that caused me to reset the position of the front derailleur clamp so its all my fault.
And of course the overshoot doesn't seem to occur changing gear on the bike stand.

Does anyone have any suggestions as how I should approach this problem?

Comments

• onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    The reason this is happening when cycling and not on the stand is that the chain when pedalling is under tension which is not the case when on the stand. First check that the height of the FD. The cage, when in the large ring position should be around 2-3 mm above the large ring. Then, with the chain on the large ring and the smallest rear cog, sight along the chain. The FD cage should be parallel to the chain though some small orientation may be required at a later stage.
    Now the "H" screw which controls the outward limit movement of the FD can be set. Screw this down (clockwise), 1/4 of a turn at a time until the point is reached when the chain refuses to climb to the large ring. Now unscrew, again 1/4 of a turn until the change can be made smoothly and without too much noise when turning the pedals at a fair speed.
  • paulbnix
    Thanks for the reply.
    I checked the clearance between the large chainwheel and the FD and I had correctly set it to about 2mm.
    I then looked from the smallest rear cog to the large chainwheel and the rear of the FD was very slightly skewed towards the frame- which would presumably encourage the chain to overshoot.
    So I have twisted the FD a small amount. First test round the block seemed ok so I'll see what happens this weekend.
  • paulbnix
    Sorted.
    I had one overshoot in 45 miles so I think that is it.
    It was a very small adjustment that did the job.