How much difference to tyres make?

Neil_aky
Neil_aky Posts: 211
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
I bought a Triban 3 back in February and have loved every minute on it, I didn't make any changes other than adding a pair of SPD pedals (I have SPD shoes which I use on my hybrid) until I got my first puncture two weeks ago...

As I haven't had a single puncture on my hybrid with Marathon Plus tyres I decided to change the tyres on my T3 - I chose to go to Michelin Lithion 2 (700x25C) and have been amazed at how much smoother my bike runs and how much quicker I am going. I was averaging 13.5MPH over 30 miles I am now up to more like 15MPH over the same route.

Is this likely be down to the tyres or is it just psychological that the bike feels better and I a trying harder...?

Either way, would recommend the tyres as a first upgrade on the T3 - much bigger difference (even if it is just psychology) than I ever expected.

Thanks in anticipation of your comments / views.

Neil

Comments

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    M+ are about as draggy as you can get without going to knobbly/MTB - the combination of weight, tread and puncture belt all make rolling resistance substantial compared to 'normal' tyres.

The Lithion is a decent all-rounder so I'd say a good choice. Glad you're enjoying it, perhaps now's the time to increase the distance :wink:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Neil_aky
    Thanks for reply.

Distance is increasing with every ride - feel comfortable at 30 Miles - next target is the 50 Miles. Lost 3.5 Stone since last summer so there is less of me to drag around now. Another 1.5 stone to go - cheaper than buying a lighter bike!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Tires should always be the 1st upgrade. Clipless pedals and a good bike fit next.
  • Emphursis
    Emphursis Posts: 124
    I think there is definitely a difference. I was using the naff, puncture prone, Kenda tyres that came with the bike until last week when I swapped them for Ultra Gatorskins. I had a higher average speed over a much longer, hillier route than normal.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    There have been a lost of tests on this. Rolliing resistance will depend on speed but at 25mph comparing a Marthon plus to a GP4000s there is something like 25W difference in power wasted.

The Continental GP4000s has low rolling resistance, the 4 seaons has a slightly higher rolling resistance but the rbber compound is harder so they wear out less quickly. Never tried Michelin tyres and so long as Continental make these tyres I won't be either.

Tyres can make a big difference is putting on the best compared to the worst. The kind of difference attributed to pting really expensive aero wheels on a bike compared to a 36 spoke wheel with a box section rim.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Neil_aky
    Thanks for the responses - as I said, I only changed to improve puncture resistance and despite reading about rolling resistance etc I was quite cynical.

I was quite happy to stick with the OEM tyres until they needed changing but with this experience I would recommend changing as soon as possible.

Not sure how much of the difference is due to me replacing 23s with 25s, the quality of the tyre etc and I am still not sure if the difference is due to properties like rolling resistance or just the fact that the bike feels so much smoother encouraging me to go faster.

Whatever the reason I am now having even more fun riding and improving my average times - that's got to be a good thing.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The Continental GP4000s has low rolling resistance, the 4 seaons has a slightly higher rolling resistance but the rbber compound is harder so they wear out less quickly. Never tried Michelin tyres and so long as Continental make these tyres I won't be either.

Am I the only person who things GP4000s are terrible, terrible tyres?

I've tried them twice as people kept saying how great they were, but I didn't find them particularly quick and they were terrible for punctures. I've had 4Seasons on the commuter all winter and found them slow.

I know tyres are a very personal thing but I've found Schwalbe Durano and Durano S to be superior to the Contis in every way.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    i have the conti gp 4000s on mine upgraded from the lugano schwalbe's which came on it.found the difference immediately and wouldnt change them for the world.only had one puncture with them and wouldnt have got it only i was turning into a side road where a lorry had shed a few stones onto the road,i just couldnt avoid them all and just nicked one which resulted in the puncture.also had a mate who was struggling with the tyres that came on his bike,i had a spare set of conti 3000's sitting in the shed and told him to try them to see how he got on.....fecker wont give them back now :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    +1 for gatorskins. Wouldn't put owt else on either of my bikes now...
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    edited April 2013
    just upgraded from Conti Ultra 23's to GP4000s black chilli 25's and I'm liking them a lot. Smoother and more sure-footed is how I'd try and describe it. 25's are only a little wider and I'm running them at about 10psi lower than I had the 23's - front now at 90 and rear at 95. They dont feel squishy at this pressure but they seem to absorb a lot more of the micro-vibrations from rough tarmac making the ride more con=mfortable and less skittish. The rubber on the gp's also feels a lot more tacky than the ultras, hoping this doesnt mean they wear out faster, they are over twice the price; the ultras became seriously nicked and cut within a short space of time.
  • FlacVest
    FlacVest Posts: 100
    Neil_aky wrote:
    Thanks for the responses - as I said, I only changed to improve puncture resistance and despite reading about rolling resistance etc I was quite cynical.

I was quite happy to stick with the OEM tyres until they needed changing but with this experience I would recommend changing as soon as possible.

Not sure how much of the difference is due to me replacing 23s with 25s, the quality of the tyre etc and I am still not sure if the difference is due to properties like rolling resistance or just the fact that the bike feels so much smoother encouraging me to go faster.

Whatever the reason I am now having even more fun riding and improving my average times - that's got to be a good thing.

When those wear out get some Continental GP4000S(s). Those are amazing. I think they come in 25 too. I have some 4000's because I needed red, but the black with black chili are even faster/more durable. They're also superb in wet conditions. I read an article where they compared a lot of top brands by putting them on a moped and, literally, riding it hard until they slid off the bike.

Puncture protection with a swinging blade, and something else. The GP4000S fared as the best or tied with the best for each trial. Compared with the Michelin Pro 4, which also faired well, and a Vittoria... which was the best at grip in the dry... which is pretty obvious given that it was a race tire.