Is this cleat dead?

kingofthetailwind
kingofthetailwind Posts: 575
edited April 2013 in Workshop
8667780513_47e54f024d.jpg

Only seen five months of use. But one edge has completely worn away. It still clips in OK, but it's making a rubbing sound. Time to replace?

Comments

• ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    Check the surface where the pedal engages (front and rear), as long as there is plenty of material left in these locations then cleats are good to keep using. The wear you see here is from walking not riding. Try to reduce the amount of time you walk in your road shoes and your cleats will last a lot longer. I can get around 10,000 miles from a set but it all depends on how much walking you do. Lightly oil the pedal with a dry lube, this may stop the rubbing noise.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    They have been walked on a lot, not ridden as much... :lol:

The part that engages with the pedal looks in good shape to me...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Haha, I honestly haven't walked on them at all! I can't walk in cleats, it's more like a waddle!

OK, I'll lube them up and see if that stops the noise.

Cheers.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    That's what mine look like after commuting for a while - it'll be the foot you put down that wears like that. Try as I might I still often push off when starting from lights which can't help.

I've started to rotate mine every couple of months - and you could do that here. Put the best one on your foot you unclip first and you'll get the same again.

They are a bit soft though - I go through at least a set a year. I've got cafe covers for walking once I get to work but that obviously doesn't help at the lights.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    They've got ages of wear in them yet. By the way what I do when I get new cleats is move the unclipping one to shoe I unclip with and add a new one to the unclipping one - and stuff - yo get the idea. :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    k-dog wrote:
    I go through at least a set a year. I've got cafe covers for walking once I get to work but that obviously doesn't help at the lights.

Here is another good reason to jump the lights... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    or learn to track stand properly?
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • k-dog wrote:
    or learn to track stand properly?

LOL, I thought I'd practice that the other day. Never, ever again in cleats! There are natural bike handlers, and there is me!

Yeah it's the left one that is worn, I'll swap 'em over.