Step away from the bike and put the degreaser down

2»

Comments

• suspended
    suspended Posts: 30
    I'm surprised no-one has realised that, if you choose the bucket size carefully, you can wedge some pieces of styrofoam (from your chippy packaging) into it and use it as a budget helmet. The residual muc-off then does a good job of removing chippy and hair grease too!
  • Plyphon wrote:
    Hot water and a brush for me.

Maybe a squirt of GT85 on the cassette/chain if I get it REALLY wet.

I do have some Muc Off chain lube, but it was on sale. That occasionally comes out to play.

Don't you find that the brush scratches you a bit ?
  • stubs wrote:
    I have been riding for 40 + years and never once have I needed to degrease anything other than a chain.

So how do you get the dirty old grease off your bearings when you service them? :idea:
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I rub them with a rag and spray with wd40 ect
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    stubs wrote:
    I have been riding for 40 + years and never once have I needed to degrease anything other than a chain.

So how do you get the dirty old grease off your bearings when you service them? :idea:

Good point, these days I use an ultrasound bath I got off ebay. Used to use Parraffin and a toothbrush.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    There is no manliness in that - so no.

Old sponge, bucket with a drop of car shampoo (not washing up liquid it has salt in it) and copious amounts of water applied at no more pressure than Gravity provides......

Probably the safest way. Did mine with car shampoo which came up really well. I got a cheap turtle wax wash and wax job does the job well enough. Any car detailers lurking about? see who can OCD clean their bike the most
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    There was, but he has gone.