Rose Xeon CRS 3100 and commuting hack

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
edited April 2013 in Your road bikes
Had this for about 12 weeks now. I absolutely love it. Stiff, fast, great wheels - Kysrium Elites - and the Ultegra Di2 is pretty flawless. Not to mention it was a bargain because it was a 2012 model. I still need to sort the front end out and remove a couple more spacers before I get the steerer cut down. I'll also be putting some carbon cages on. Not a massive fan of the Fizik bar tape which is a bit thin. Pedals are 5400 series.

Already clocked a 19.05 lap round Richmond Park on it and will be using it in much of my training towards starting racing this year. Not sure I'll want to put in into a crit though. I might use the commuter for that.

8665625517_c34cb80f37.jpg

8665625251_5db461fc7a.jpg

This is the everyday workhorse and wet weather trainer. Picked it up second hand a few weeks ago. I have to say, I bloody love it. Bog standard alu frame and carbon forks with Pro finishing kit and Selle saddle which needs replacing for something less padded. Aksium wheelset.

The eagle-eyed among you might have spotted the bastard Italian/Japanese/'Merican groupset. Campag chainset, Force shifters, Rival rear mech and Shimano 105 front mech. Works absolutely perfectly. Wasn't sure about Sram shifters but love how they work. Not light but lets me get nice and low. Might swap the stem for something more neutral. Apols for the white cable ties holding on the speedo. If they stay on long enough, they'll go black.

8665626653_2352ce2ff5_z.jpg
8665626149_cea360efda.jpg

Comments

• chadders81
    Photos up now successfully.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    The rose bikes look like they're pretty good value, strange you don't see more about.
  • chadders81
    I think they're starting to get more heavily marketed now. Seen a couple of ads in Cycling Plus. Not backing a pro team probably doesn't help.

The branding is pretty subtle as well so you've probably passed more than you've noticed.
  • karama
    karama Posts: 18
    Loving the Rose CRS! Mine is due next month.
    Can you comment anything on it's comfort on longer rides?
  • chadders81
    Did 91 miles on mine today on the St Georges Sportive from Princes Risborough with the no problems. It's a stiff, direct bike and it will put a massive smile on your face.

Only problem I had today was vibration through the front end. The roads were in TERRIBLE condition though and pretty sure it could have been cured by some better bar tape.

I could have ridden it all day. On a decent surface it feels like a magic carpet.
  • I have the CRS 3100 too. Its definitely not a 'comfort' bike. I haven't had have a problem with front end buzz. On the rough roads some times I get some real jarring at the back though. But I dont really notice it unless im riding by myself tbh.

The weird thing is sometimes it feels like im getting some real knocks but other times i'll see some rough roads coming and nothing, the bike just glides over. Maybe its just my body relaxing more?

I would say that that joy i get out of riding it up the steep hills and on the smoother roads far outweighs the 'rough times' though.
  • chadders81
    I'm fine at the back as the result of a having a 24mm Conti Force on the rear. I do like to run my tyres really hard at 120psi plus. Maybe that has something to do with it.