Norfolk wind

monkeyeatsps3
monkeyeatsps3 Posts: 46
edited April 2013 in Road general
The wind in norfolk is such an arse! :evil:
Whatever direction you are riding in the wind is always in your face and because its flat damn the wind can be fast!

So I was wondering were you are, is the wind the same? :D

Comments

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    The wind in norfolk is such an ars*! :evil:
    Whatever direction you are riding in the wind is always in your face and because its flat damn the wind can be fast!

So I was wondering were you are, is the wind the same? :D

You have now realised we traded our hills away for wind many years ago. Can't go back now we're stuck with it.
  • Gets worse the closer to the coast you are!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Its to make up for the lack of hills - to stop all you Norfolk cyclists being completely soft! ;);)
  • At least we don't spend our Sundays going to cafés ..... Oh wait we do...
  • markos1963
    Its to make up for the lack of hills - to stop all you Norfolk cyclists being completely soft! ;);)

Everybody knows the toughest riders come from the flatlands.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    At least we don't spend our Sundays going to cafés ..... Oh wait we do...

Its only after riding up hills that we really earn the cake though. I guess you'll just have to settle for a strong gale in your face to earn yours!! 8)
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    If you can master the mentality of it then ploughing into a headwind for many km's should make for decent training. It is hard to convince yourself of it though, I think when you are climbing you can rationalise it better as you have a visual target in the road ramping up ahead and can measure your efforts accordingly to the summit whereas a long flat(ish) road with a brutal headwind offers nothing visual to help deal with it...or any respite like a descent!
  • markos1963
    Although we do have a few secret slopes. I took a new to the area rider for a ride along the coast, first was Bard Hill, followed by Lodge Hill and by the time we got to Beacon Hill they were convinced we weren't in Norfolk any more!
  • If you can master the mentality of it then ploughing into a headwind for many km's should make for decent training. It is hard to convince yourself of it though, I think when you are climbing you can rationalise it better as you have a visual target in the road ramping up ahead and can measure your efforts accordingly to the summit whereas a long flat(ish) road with a brutal headwind offers nothing visual to help deal with it...or any respite like a descent!
    Totally agree. Plus, with a climb, at least you know you're going up it by choice, whereas a nasty headwind is rarely something you'd actually pick.

We're pretty lucky round here when it comes to wind as the combination of the hills, hedges, and trees keeps it at bay most of the time. The downside, for me anyway, is I'm now a complete sissy when it comes to incessant headwinds.
    Mangeur
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    Was on the exposed hills on the Northumberland / Cumbria border today and the incessant, gusting headwind was soul destroying.

Slogging up a lengthy climb at taxing gradients is hard enough graft without the addition of a wall of wind trying to push you back down the slope.
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    Most of the winds around here are either easterly or westerly. Used to hate them but you just have to get your head down and plough on. Prefer them when I'm heading out and get the tailwind on the way back though :D
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    markos1963 wrote:

Everybody knows the toughest riders come from the flatlands.

^This.

I don't mind the winds too much, although Thursday was a bit tough on tired legs, and I feel all smug and superior when friends come visit and get battered by the winds all day. Don't try to beat the wind round here, just accept it and keep chipping away
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I rode in Norfolk yesterday, and was pleased that the wind wasn't as bad as I have experienced in the past. Can really make a ride hard. Norfolk and (even more so) Lincolnshire can be about the hardest places in the UK to cycle on the wrong day.

Beautiful part of the world though.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    When I were a lad I had a girlfriend who lived at the top of Kett's Hill in Norwich - that was a nice end to a bike ride from Costessey :lol:
  • Heh, i live in Costessey!

The wind hasnt been took bad past week but was horrific for the Hethersett 30/60 last sunday esp on the second lap.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    One of my aims this year is to bike to my Mum's for tea... the climb out of Old Costessey, the bottom bit of Norwich Rd and the ride to the top of Kabin Rd are mere inclines but even they will probably hurt after 200-odd kms :lol:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    You're welcome to our flipping hills ...