declaration of intent!

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
now this is nothing ground breaking before the collective sigh lol i am sat here not been overly well last week so trying to shake bug off this weekend then i am ready... set myself moderate targets at start of the year, double my yearly millage (1800 last year), average 15 mph over 100km and get down to 14st. things have been so stop start. now i have my first sportive in 2 weeks i will now be using this as simple millage and a training ride, though now i am feeling 16mph should be more the target, currently average a tad over 14. now the 14st is possbly a stiff ask 15st 10lbs currently and once i get to 15st but actually that would do me. not expecting responses just declaring in public to spur me on!
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I like it. Go for it.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • ianbar
    i should add i bought i stupidly expensive bike in the new year and need to justify it with greater performance, also i have done more turbo generally than i used to.
    enigma esprit
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    go for it, track all your rides in something like excel. I did that over this last year and its clear to see how much my average speed has increased. Also keep this thread up to date with how your doing regarding your weight, it'll help you keep at it.
  • Markjaspi
    Markjaspi Posts: 729
    Best of luck, and more importantly enjoy it.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Sounds like a good plan.Anything that motivates cant be bad,so use what ever it takes to attain your goals.
    What bike did you get btw.
    Goodluck.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • ianbar
    thank you, an enigma echo. i saved a good while to have her for this summer, superb bike but clearly way above my ability! as these things do she cost more than i intended :-p lol hopfully if i stick to it all targets should merge, more miles = less weight together making me faster!
    enigma esprit
  • Nice bike
  • ianbar
    well a couple of weeks since my statement! down to about 15st 6lbs (loss of about 4). 6 rides and 168.6 miles later, taken 2 mins off the most local cat 4 climb, and averaged 15.5 mph over 15.6 miles. route today involved a 9 miles tt route which proud to say not at the bottom of the list lol
    enigma esprit
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I have a little route set up that I go and ride on occasions - load the results to strava and see how I've done compared to last time. It includes a cat4 climb as well as a few other lumps and bumps - but is about 16 miles long and I have done it in a little over 50 minutes. I can use that to gauge if I'm getting faster or not ... but it does have a bit of weather dependency - a strong south west wind will slow down most of the ride.

I also use strava for my commute - and it's nice to see the times coming down as it gets warmer - I even managed a PB whilst taking it easy coming home the other day - a good tail wind helped ... but I also look at the average speed over the whole trip - it's nice to see that on average my speed has increased quite nicely and what were "good speeds" last year are now becoming the norm ...
  • ianbar
    the good thing was my first 3 miles was very easy and into a headwind as i was just waring up. i do like to compare my times on the climbs especially as i am a bit of a big lump so i see it as a good challenge, the loop is a very regular route but i dont do it on its own as often now as i am trying to go longer. pretty much aiming for 3 rides a week or every other day so a shorter ride comes in handy. i also think the adrenalin kicks in once you know your riding faster than usual and you end up faster still!
    enigma esprit
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I presume that the Cannondale was the stupidly expensive bike? The Enigma is reassuringly expensive... :D

Are you going to the Enigma open day tomorrow at their new factory? Looks as though it is going to be really interesting. They are showing off their frame making skills and there is also a 2 hour ride with Sean Yates, who will be picking up his new bike.
  • ianbar
    oh unfortunately not as i am god knows how many miles away! would have loved it though, the enigma was meant to be a bike for life lol etc etc it has got me tranign but i can see the excuses for a new bike coming if i get quick enough lol
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    after a bit of math i seem to be well down on my target miles for the year and need to crack it up to 150 per week till end of september, thus with the sun out i am about to set off for my longest ride of the year, possibly even longest ever but will depend on how i feel, will report back in a few...or many many hours lol
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    63.7 miles today longest this year but didnt push for the 70 as well and truly done! 4000ft of climbing did me in, but took a jam sarnie with me for the first time and really hit the spot!
    enigma esprit
  • Big lump pah! I have a stone on you and am also the owner of a lovely enigma. It's an Eclipse, parts all picked by me, fitted and built by the good chaps at Paul Hewitt.

Anyhow, good for you in declaring your targets and good luck. My modest goals are to not die in the Pyrenees in July and to not get dropped on a club run by Christmas. Both seen very far away at the mo!
  • ianbar
    it was a tough ride wasnt fast at all, i cant imagine that route being the one to get 15 mph on lol got my echo from enigma, the frame was in the sale, ended up spending more than i should...as you do!
    enigma esprit
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Get another really expensive bike, the guilt seems to be extremely motivational :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ianbar
    lol think id end up with 2 expensive bikes and single...plenty of time then to cycle though lol
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    well time for an update..weight hasnt changed no where near 14 st but speed has. did the big G cyclosportive in beverley last week, 15mph average over 108km so well chuffed, quite hill too with 5 cat climbs. on a flat route i have averaged 16.2 over 100km too! the real issue now is my weight , i really should lose weight so got to focus on what i am eating, im gettign around 100 miles a week..did 150 this week with been on hills. but the weight must come off now thats my focus and im pretty certain this will push my average up a lot!
    enigma esprit
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Excellent progress... Well done
  • ianbar
    i now have ideas of aiming for 17mph over same sportive next year, and pushing to 18mph over the flat courses I'm exploring recently, hard work over winter i think!
    enigma esprit