M10 x 1.0 x 15 Bolt

alfa145
alfa145 Posts: 66
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I managed to round out a bolt head on my Giant Trance x3 2009 on the bottom suspension pivot. I managed to get the offending bolt out by driving a spline drive into it and to my amazement it came out easily :)

So I thought I would set about replacing it - I searched on line and the only Giant spare parts I could find are from Cyclestore.co.uk at £44.99 :shock:

I measured the bolt to be M10 x 1.0 x 15 but I can't find any M10x1.0 bolts with an inset hex drive made of alloy. It has quite a large diameter head but I can probably use a washer, but anyone any ideas where I can find anything similar?!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Go to a bolt shop and ask.

It is not a standard thread. The standard for M10 is a 1.25pitch.

The other option is to talk to an engineering shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Speak to someone who owns a Skyline or an Evo, I forget which one it is but M10 x 1.0 is fairly common on Jap cars.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Speak to someone who owns a Skyline or an Evo, I forget which one it is but M10 x 1.0 is fairly common on Jap cars.

I think they are also on old VW Beetles. Google M10 blanking plug a lot of hydraulic fittings are M10 x 1.0.

edit: Did a quick google a VW flywheel bolt is M10x1.0 but its not the old Beetle its more modern VWs. Memory aint what it used to be :oops:

http://www.redlinemotive.com/replacement/volkswagen/flywheelbolt.asp
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    alfa145 wrote:
    I managed to round out a bolt head on my Giant Trance x3 2009 on the bottom suspension pivot. I managed to get the offending bolt out by driving a spline drive into it and to my amazement it came out easily :)

So I thought I would set about replacing it - I searched on line and the only Giant spare parts I could find are from Cyclestore.co.uk at £44.99 :shock:

I measured the bolt to be M10 x 1.0 x 15 but I can't find any M10x1.0 bolts with an inset hex drive made of alloy. It has quite a large diameter head but I can probably use a washer, but anyone any ideas where I can find anything similar?!

Or file a couple of flats on the head so an open ended spanner can be used.

8671908036_e9babb3463.jpg
  • alfa145
    alfa145 Posts: 66
    Thanks for the various avenues of exploration chaps - I did think of filing some flats, however the head is quite thin and is recessed slightly, so I'm not confident I could get a decent leverage on it when doing it up without the spanner coming off and then rounding the flats! I decided to drop it off at an engineering place near me this morning that has done a lot of engine work in the past for me - he will cut a new hex into it for some beer money :)