Giant Pedal Problem

Danielm862
Danielm862 Posts: 9
edited April 2013 in Road general
Hi,

I got a Giant Defy 1 in January, I've not done much riding on it because of weather and work, but I have done enough miles to love the bike.

It went in for a service last week, I got a message back saying that the left pedal was cross-threaded.

When I got the bike back - unrepaired - the pedal literally slotted in, no screwing in, just slots into the arm on the bike. I'm 99% sure it wasn't like this before it went in as its never fallen off when riding before, but now falls off almost instantly!!

I was quoted £50 + labour to repair the problem.

Can anyone give me any advice on repairing this issue?
Is £50+ a reasonable charge for the problem to be fixed?
Should I attempt to repair this myself?

Thanks in advanced!!

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    £50 to helicoil a crank arm seems steep to me, you could probably get a new chainset for less.

Who fitted the pedals originally?
  • I fitted the pedals originally, so I will take responsibility for that. Although I was almost certain that they where fitted correctly because I followed the instructions that they came with to the letter! I was OCD careful because of the cost of the bike :)

Is it possible for me to buy a new crank arm separately?
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    A new Shimano 105 crank arm is £80. Unlikely the shop damaged the thread - they fit cranks constantly because new bikes don't have them attached. Bike shops don't stock left hand crank arms on their own - they only fit full left and right units as you would expect. I would talk nicely to the bike shop guys. Own up to getting it wrong - then let them impress you with their skills. It's an investment. Be assured!
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    lefty tighty, righty loosey.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    You can get left only crank arms, I've done it before following a crash. At £50 plus labour there won't be much in it so if that's the best price you can get I'd just go new. More to the point what's the £50 for? This should be half an hours labour only surely?
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Kwik Fit (don't get me started) cross threaded and stripped the threads on the caliper bolts on my car's rear brakes (leaving them held on with Loctite :( ). Having them helicoiled was £20 a thread so £50 seems steep to me.

See if you can find a local engineering shop that can helicoil the thread.

It probably was you who did this in the first place though. We cannot be sure but bearing in mind that they will do this all the time whereas you don't does rather suggest that you are more likely to have been the culprit.
  • Cheers for all the replies!
    I didn't collect my bike, my dad did because I don't drive, he wasn't impressed by them at all.
    Although I probably did cause it, it came back to me a LOT worse than it left in, which is what makes me wonder :)
    I've spoken to another bike shop that I have used before and they have been very helpful, I'm going it in on Wednesday for them to check it out :D
    Again, thanks for the replies :)
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Danielm862 wrote:
    I fitted the pedals originally, so I will take responsibility for that. Although I was almost certain that they where fitted correctly because I followed the instructions that they came with to the letter! I was OCD careful because of the cost of the bike
    I would think it would have been obvious if you had cross threaded the pedal. It would have either been fairly difficult to screw in or you would have noticed that the pedal axle would not have been straight protruding from the crank arm. Did you notice either of these conditions before taking it to the shop? Yes, a shop mechanic should be competent enough not to screw this up but it happens more than you would think.
  • Danielm862 wrote:
    I fitted the pedals originally, so I will take responsibility for that. Although I was almost certain that they where fitted correctly because I followed the instructions that they came with to the letter! I was OCD careful because of the cost of the bike
    I would think it would have been obvious if you had cross threaded the pedal. It would have either been fairly difficult to screw in or you would have noticed that the pedal axle would not have been straight protruding from the crank arm. Did you notice either of these conditions before taking it to the shop? Yes, a shop mechanic should be competent enough not to screw this up but it happens more than you would think.
    Nope I didn't notice either of them, to me it seemed fine, but arguing that point across to a professional id difficult and he defiantly knows more than me!
    Ive taken it to a local shop that have always been helpful to me and they have ordered a replacement crank arm for a total cost of £50 including fitting.
    Thanks for all the advice :)
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    That's more like it, good work!