cycle lockers and insurance

bunter
bunter Posts: 327
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
I use a locker similar to this at work.
bxmwslh_sheffield4.jpg
I've had no problems so far but recently a colleague had his bike stolen from different type of locker at work (more like a cage with your bike clearly visible, secured with a padlock). This made me consider cycle insurance, but it looks as though I couldn't get cover for a bike secured in a locker like this; there is no anchor inside that you can lock the bike to with an insurance approved lock.

Is there any way round this? I would prefer to keep using the locker as it keeps the weather off the bike and the design of the locker means its pretty hard to see if there is a bike inside at all, let alone whether it is worth pinching. I'm not sure I could get permission to drill a ground anchor into the surface underneath...

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    bunter wrote:
    I'm not sure I could get permission to drill a ground anchor into the surface underneath...

Have you actually asked permission? presumably your employer is expecting to keep the lockers there long-term.

I suppose you could always do it anyway... I doubt anybody not using that specific locker would notice it once it's in there.
    Failing that, could you weld (or even glue - UHU 300 is incredibly strong) a bracket to the inside of the locker?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    better to ask for forgiveness than permission, then you think? The organisation I work for is so large that most people will just say no rather than figure out who they need to ask...
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Well if it's a faceless organization and you're up for doing it guerilla-style, I'd fix the bracket to the cycle locker rather than e.g. drilling through it to the concrete - for one thing you'd have no easy way to secure the bolts without cutting massive holes in the floor.

Fixing it to the locker at least allows you to argue that you haven't ruined anything that would require remedial work if the lockers were moved.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.