The sun is out...Time to get back on it...

Alybea
Alybea Posts: 6
edited June 2013 in Women's cycling forum
I have a rather cheap and nasty Raleigh road bike, I want to replace it with something some thing nicer.
Specs are: female but 5'8", my work has started the cycle to work scheme so upto £900 inc new shoes & pedals, for a meaty 25% discount.
Must not have flowers motifs of the frame (trek women's bikes have this. It's almost enough to put me off men's ones too :evil: )
Must be faster/flashier/ better than my blokes defy 3, comfy enough for 50mile + rides.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • Doesn't the Cannondale Synapse have nice flowery decals?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Alybea
    FFS I thought it was a lack of judgement on Trek's part for one year only.
    Flowers are fine on children's bikes, they're not fine on adult ladies bike worth £800.
    If I wanted twee I'd buy Cath Kidson.
  • Have you considered the Boardman Fi range, no flowers but nice splashes of Pink?
  • Alybea
    Ok, been to try some out.
    Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra Womens Racing Road Bike 2013 is current favourite... any observations, comments or reasons not to buy it? (I can live with the leafy ends to the coloured bits)
  • It would be a good choice. Obviously not on the C2W scheme but comparably is the Canyon Roadlite is £869 with Mavic Askiums and Sram Apex or Shimano 105. (They use to do a Womens specific version) Have you looked at Planet-x & Ribble?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    My wife's bike is much faster than mine... but only when we swap bikes :wink:
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    Hi alybea,

I would get the synapse, though I'm a bit biased as I have one, but great comfortable bike, had mine since feb, very pleased with it,you won't regret it :D

Hope this helps .
    Tony
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The Synapse is an excellent choice, but are you sure you want / need a womens specific bike? A lot more choice if you go mainstream....
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    what exactly is wrong with flower motif on girls bikes? or pink bit for that matter? you're girls aren't you?
  • Estheroid
    Estheroid Posts: 1
    I'm in a similar position - not a fan of the pink/pastel-y/flowery/twee that passes for 'women's' bikes. Don't even get me started on this year's Specialized ones - 'Ooh - it comes with a matching saddle bag!'

The Cube WLS line seems good - female geometry but in non-girly colours. The Cube Axial comes within your budget - just a squeak under £900.

As for me, I've got my eye on one of last year's Synapse models - no flowery decals on that, thankfully :lol:
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    I went for a Trek mens frame and love it to bits!