my tyre split!

nickyhoward55
nickyhoward55 Posts: 148
edited April 2013 in Workshop
Hi folks,

Just dragged the bike out of the garage for its first use this year (proper fair weather biker!), pumped the tyres up, oiled it up, cleaned it etc but i noticed there was something wrong with the front tyre. See the pic attached for more info.

Is this normal after a winter break? The tyres were partially inflated but the bike hangs from the roof so they were not in contact with the ground, also, the garage is insulated so it doesn't freeze in there.

img2518y.jpg

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    How deep are the cracks? They dont look too deep so maybe all would be ok but its a risk you take if you decide to ride on them

What tyre are they btw? They look like Ultremos but cannot see a brand name.
  • It a bit of a poor pic, sorry :( the cracks are down to the canvas, there are a few more around the tyre on both sides. Its an ultremo zx, they have only done about 100 miles (my old tyre had a fight with a rock - and lost).
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    The cracks won't be a problem in themselves.
    If the tyres were hidden under mudguards, I might be a bit worried about water getting in and causing the rest of the rubber to start coming away from the tyre canvas, but in the open where they can be seen, I'd just carry on riding them.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I have two sets that look the same with similar low mileage, in fact I emailed Schwalbe who suggested I returned them to the supplier for a replacement.

Been too busy to do that yet, its a shame because they do roll really well.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Haha, I knew this was about an Ultremo ZX before I even opened it.

As itboffin says: great tyre, *awful* reliability.
  • I had this problem last year and had two tyres replaced by Schwalbe. Don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings but I'd lay odds that tyre will develop a serious (terminal) bulge where the splits are.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Lol yeah I was assuming this was about an Ultremo to, agree with Buck's summary of them. I've ridden them for years (on winter and summer bikes) and somehow managed to avoid all the QC issues they've had. The cracking in your pic I wouldn't worry too much about though, it doesn't look like de-lamination which is the main thing to watch for, although obviously keep an eye on it and go for a warranty replacement if it gets worse.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My Conti 4 Seasons developed some cracks but not until they were over 4 years old, and that was the beginning of the end. Riding on freshly resurfaced road with loose chippings started to shred the remaining tread off the carcass. I'd just ride them and keep an eye on them.
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Have the same issue with my GP400s on my summer bike. Appears to have happened over the winter. We're eft fully pumped up?
  • Thanks for the replies all, decided to run back to the shop to try my luck (no receipt) as i didn't wanna risk a problem far from home (that and i put about 10KG on over winter....damn you food!). I bought it from JE James Rotherham and once they had confirmed i had bought it when i said i did they swapped it for a brand new one :) The guy on the counter said it was common for them to be returned as Schwalbe had released a faulty batch.

Heres hoping for some sun this weekend!

img2525b.jpg