Wiggins Equipment Malfunction...........

solosuperia
solosuperia Posts: 333
edited April 2013 in Road general
Please tell me it was nothing to do with electronic gears...............
It just irks me, and please don't regard me as a luddite. Can you get anything more reliable than cable operated gears, any weight saving, I think not.
Using electronic must be an example of style over substance.

I think I will need a cab to the back door please.

Comments

• It is a developing technology, it will always have problems in the early years. Do you think the same didn't happen with cable actuated gears?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    F1 cars are still the pinnacle of the sport but they still break. Nothing is infallible.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Blame Halfords :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Last sunday we briefly shared the road with a group of riders... one had Di2 and the noises coming from his drivetrain when he shifted gear were dreadful...
    We were on our trusty and shiny 1980s horses and soon left the lot behind... just to make a statement, of course... 8)
    left the forum March 2023
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Where Di2 failed, Pinarello's self park function made up for it... :)

http://video.eurosport.se/cykel/bradley ... ideo.shtml
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The 'Bike Hut' guy soon had him on his way though :lol:
    Excellent customer service :wink:
  • Very impressive, just how did he manage to chuck the bike and get it to rest up against the wall like that?
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Very impressive, just how did he manage to chuck the bike and get it to rest up against the wall like that?
    Haha I think he was as surprised as anyone else, he just wanted to sling it into the ditch :P
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    EPS 1 - Di2 0

Hats of to Wiggo though. His attempt to get back to the lead group was cool to watch.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898

Hats of to Wiggo though. His attempt to get back to the lead group was cool to watch.

Was impressive to see him put under pressure & come back so well on such a steep climb. Think it shows that he doesn't need the train that most people moan is a detraction to the Sky way of riding.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    A couple of guys in our club have had problems with Di2, one has had his bike in the shop for weeks waiting for a part or software or something. Now S'Brad has had a problem even with the top end kit they use. Think I might wait a few years to see how this tech develops before I even consider. To me anything more advanced/expensive than Ultegra/Chorus/Force is wasted on me anyway.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I am (or have been in the past anyway) a bit of an 'early adopter' (non bike stuff), but not taken by electronic gears just yet. Would have thought it wise to give it a while.

Then again I am not planning a new road bike for at least 2'ish years. Maybe if I were looking for one this year I might feel differently.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    :D Love the way he did a double take when the bike parked itself. Is there any pro riders who still use a traditional cable system?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,671
    everyone who rides SRAM...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Jon_1976 wrote:
    :D Love the way he did a double take when the bike parked itself. Is there any pro riders who still use a traditional cable system?

Yeah I reckon he was chuffed ha! Had he been in a better mood he may have enen smiled a bit...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Jon_1976 wrote:

Cancellara...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... is-roubaix
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I know I'm Campagnolo biased, but I've heard that quite a few of the Pro's on Di2 teams have EPS envy. Campagnolo took their time and perfected the system. It's meant to be rock solid. One day I'll have it. One day...
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Jon_1976 wrote:

Cancellara...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... is-roubaix

If a cable is good enough for Sparticus then.......
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    goonz wrote:
    Where Di2 failed, Pinarello's self park function made up for it... :)

http://video.eurosport.se/cykel/bradley ... ideo.shtml

I have no idea how he managed to hide the enormous grin that must have been building at that moment :mrgreen:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • ddraver
    I know I'm Campagnolo biased, but I've heard that quite a few of the Pro's on Di2 teams have EPS envy. Campagnolo took their time and perfected the system. It's meant to be rock solid. One day I'll have it. One day...

Where have you heard that from? Funny how when a team on Shim/SRAM when it's just pros saying what ever they re paid to use is best...
    - @ddraver
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    None of us know what the problem was. By far the most likely problem was a badly indexed derailleur. Any problem, with any bike at this level, will be down to the technician that built the bike up the night before. There can be a problem with any gear changing system, if it hasn't been installed correctly.

Oh purleeeeease
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Wow. So there's one high profile failure and suddenly the system that the majority of the peloton have been running for the last couple years is rubbish? Jumping to the conclusion that it's a problem with the system when it could very well have been improperly set up (these bikes are rebuilt daily) is silly. Everything breaks including EPS and cable based systems. Get over it.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    My original reason for mentioning Wiggins having an equipment failure is the fact that I seem to remember he had what appears to be the same sort of problem in a major event last year or the year before.
    Punctures I can understand, random(ish) factor.
    I can't believe that the failure could be down to Sky using some spotty Herbert from Halfords to maintain the bikes.
    (Could be part of the tie up with Pinarello though)

Seriously though Sky's mechanics are going to be the best around aren't they?
    which points towards an equipment malfunction..............
  • Bar Shaker
    Seriously though Sky's mechanics are going to be the best around aren't they?
    which points towards an equipment malfunction..............

The same can be said for F1 pit crew who send drivers out with 3 wheel nuts in place or not enough fuel for 2 quali laps.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    How many km's does he race on TV a year? 10-15k? multiply that by the 7 or 8 people in the team. half the season there are two squads racing at the same time. times by 3 or 4 other teams running DI2 in the same race. How many 'failures' are there?

From what I understand he was running a compact chainset, so probably set up the night before just for this race.
    Also take into account the non standard chain rings he usually runs.
    I am shocked that people are writing off the system.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Markwb79 wrote:
    How many km's does he race on TV a year? 10-15k? multiply that by the 7 or 8 people in the team. half the season there are two squads racing at the same time. times by 3 or 4 other teams running DI2 in the same race. How many 'failures' are there?

From what I understand he was running a compact chainset, so probably set up the night before just for this race.
    Also take into account the non standard chain rings he usually runs.
    I am shocked that people are writing off the system.

QFT.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Things that could have gone wrong, based on watching Wiggo repeatedly pedalling a bit, looking at the front mech in a bemused manner and then using auto-park when swapping bikes:

The front mech had moved out of alignment and wasn't giving a clean change
    The front mech had failed;
    A wire had become detached, resulting in dead air
    The battery had discharged more quickly than expected so he had just the rear mech to play with
    The PowerLink (Tm) had broken or come apart
    His mechanic was a bit lapse and didn't give it all a proper checkover before sending him out on it.
    He was looking for excuses to stop and not fight for the win
    Shimano have actually produced something which despite 4 years of development and testing is actually a pile of tat that should never have been released to market.

My money's on any of the first 4 and the 5th &6th as an outside shot. The last two are standard internet view points and can be discarded.

:)
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    One of Team SKY's mechanics have 'fessed up. Apparently he forgot to mount that thingy on the front of the bike that makes him climb faster, now what did he call it...Chris Froome

Someone on the club run yesterday was saying the spare bike they gave him had his regular setup, e.g; not the compact he'd spec'd for that stage. If that's true, the way he made a go of getting back on - awesome stuff.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Bar Shaker
    David Millar shows how to park a non Di2 bike with drivetrain failure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIW1MAvyPD4

(not for the squeamish!!)
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ddraver
    Grill wrote:
    Wow. So there's one high profile failure and suddenly the system that the majority of the peloton have been running for the last couple years is rubbish? Jumping to the conclusion that it's a problem with the system when it could very well have been improperly set up (these bikes are rebuilt daily) is silly. Everything breaks including EPS and cable based systems. Get over it.

Topic Closed...(in any other place other than the internet, hey ho)
    - @ddraver