XTR ring sizes

Gymbal
Gymbal Posts: 10
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
High got myself a 29er and had XTR fitted on it. (was my 40th!) But the rings are 38 28t. Finding it a complete bugger up the steep hills around here ( though fast on the less steep!)and was hoping to shrink the small ring. 24 or 22t. Even if I "man up" later and revert.
Any suggestions to fitting the smaller rings with the 985 cranks. 88 BCD (what does BCD stand for as well, please?)
Already 11-36t rear.
Grinding(or walking) not spinning!
Any suggestions?

Help!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Bolt circle diameter.

A triple would have been much better hey.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    XTR are for racing snake types who can actually ride up hills. The rest of us fat bastards use a Deore granny ring.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    http://www.aribike.it/Corone%20Mtb/Shim ... 202011.htm

they do a 27t but no smaller as the chain ring bolts will prevent anything like a 26/24t fitting and i doubt you d notice the difference.

Buy a xt chain set an sell the xtr or wait til you get fitter.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Not trying to be a smartar$e but shouldn't you have thought about chain ring sizes before dropping £300 on a crankset? Sell it and get an XT double (or the XTR triple) or stick with it and just get fitter
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Well i ve just picked up a new canyon 29er and was going to go for the xtr version but for costs only went for the xt model, i had no idea that xtr was limited to 28t, assuming i could just get a smaller ring :)

so your a smartar%e :lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You're not, you can get a normal triple.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And you can get trail doubles (with a normal BCD) that you can fit smaller rings too.

The clue is in the name on the M985 cranks - XTR Race.
  • Gymbal
    Gymbal Posts: 10
    Thanks for constructive comments!
    Hindsight is great! Knew what I (thought) I wanted.But! 29er wheels with bigger rings was not what I expected in the real world where I ride! Demo was not My normal conditions, but needs must. Thought I could change down if was too hard! Now I know!
    Was looking for suggestions, if they existed ,to correct my mistake.
    Yes, getting fitter is the plan, maybe having (more) fun doing it would be better.
    And I do like XTR cranks, a lot!
    Sounds like xt cranks with 38/24 or 40/24 then I keep the shifters. Or swap everything from the old bike and go with the triple.
    BCD now makes a lot of sense!
    Cheers.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    40/24 will shift pretty badly. You can get an XTR Trail double with 26/38 or 24/36 if you want to stick with XTR, or get the XT until you're fit enough to use the XTR ratios.