anyone know of any sessionable jumps on cannock chase?

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited April 2013 in Routes
Hi all,

Does anyone know of any areas over the chase that have some sessionable drops or jumps?

I'm looking for something quite simple to start with with plenty of run out area, but ideally with some incremental increases in difficulty so I can increase my skills.

I've been trying to keep my eye out when I'm riding the trails but so far have not been able to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks
Dan

Comments

• There is a downhill section at Cannock called Stile Cop with plenty of drops and jumps
  • funkybaj
    funkybaj Posts: 47
    As above check out Stile Cop over at Cannock. I'd done many laps of the monkey and dog but not visited Stile Cop until recently. It's great for sessioning and practicing your jump and drops skills, there's two areas I recommend to begin with.

1. Session the top section of the red run. There's 3 decent drops at the top which lead to a table top to practice your jumps. It's an easy push back up from here only taking a minute or two. If you follow the red to the end then it takes so much longer to push up.

2. The lower section of Wonderland. Biggest advantage is hardly anyone rides this compared to the red run, I spent an hour or so on it the other week pushing back up the trail and not one other person came down. It's quite rocky at the top of the run but towards the end there's two decent drops to session. There's a drop right at the bottom which is intidimidating to begin with as you can't see the landing, it's ok though.

Enjoy!
    Commencal Meta AM
    Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc
  • I had thought that stile cop would be beyond me or my bike but I'll take a look at it thanks.
  • funkybaj
    funkybaj Posts: 47
    You'll be ok, the first time I went was during a jumps/drops course with The Bike School, well worth doing.

Check out the red run first, have a walk down, look before you leap. A chap was going down on a nackered old hard tail when I was there.
    Commencal Meta AM
    Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc
  • I dont have a full face helmet or any knee / elbow pads. Still be ok on the red run?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I dont have a full face helmet or any knee / elbow pads. Still be ok on the red run?
    You'll be OK until you fall off.

The problem with the Red Run is that technically it's no more difficult than the Tacks Blast section of Follow The Dog except it's steeper and more sustained. It's all rollable but by the same token it has been cleverly built so that it's possible to hit it harder and it still works.

Because of this people quickly get the hang of it and sometimes get carried away (on a stretcher). Fortunately the ambulance crews get there quickly and they're a friendly, cheerful bunch. The most dangerous part is just when you think you've got the measure of it and go a bit faster and suddenly that little lip you were popping off takes you a bit further than you expected :shock:

You can roll down the Red Run all day and you'll be fine but it can get ugly if you're not careful.
  • Grovsie29
    Grovsie29 Posts: 116
    I disagree with the red run being compared to anything on the dog/monkey. The drops are much bigger.

Ive been stile cop 4 times now and iam loving it every time I go. Don't be worried about the runs, if your competent on a bike and don't mind getting air, id say you'd be ok on the red run, ridge run, black run and mega trail beginner, though the black run does have a large drop near the end, the 2nd to last one ive not got the confidence to do it yet.

I think there is a build day next sunday to finish the bottom of snakes and ladders, which should be good for beginners, it splits off from the red after the left hand berm. I managed to try the raised wooden drop and then couldn't get enough of it, seems easy now lol.