ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,661
edited April 2013 in Pro race
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    If the UCI can regulate the angle of a saddle then surely this is a no-brainer.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Or better bottle cages.

or....

Keep all your drinks in a fridge

2784033720_d38c2a7dc7.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    DeadCalm wrote:
    If the UCI can regulate the angle of a saddle then surely this is a no-brainer.

On the other hand, if it's such a no-brainer, why aren't the teams telling the bottle manufacturers to stick to the old design? They order tens of thousands of these things every year... you'd think they have some influence on how they're designed.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    How often do bidons bounce out of the cage? I would have thought that it seems more likely that one of the riders just didn't chuck his bidon far enough.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Why are they allowed to promote littering?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • afx237vi wrote:
    On the other hand, if it's such a no-brainer, why aren't the teams telling the bottle manufacturers to stick to the old design? They order tens of thousands of these things every year... you'd think they have some influence on how they're designed.

Aren't they just given them by the manufacturers? Tacx and Elite are just giving them what they sell to the public and for the average rider who has to buy their own, a water bottle with a screw top is better. Not sure what the answer is with this.

Agree with Cleat, better cages is a good idea. I was in Arenberg on the Thursday before the race to see some of the teams on the recce. I was stood in one spot and picked up 5 water bottles from about 10 teams that came past. OK, Arenberg is probably the worst bit of road a pro will ever ride, but how hard can it be to design a cage to hold onto a bottle?
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Why are they allowed to promote littering?

Seems like they aren't...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/police- ... -littering
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I think it is pretty bad all the rubbish gets thrown in the countryside, fair enough on a mountain stage a spectator will probably be gratefull for a bottle that goes their way but gel wrappers, are they really so heavy they have to be thrown?
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    I think it is pretty bad all the rubbish gets thrown in the countryside, fair enough on a mountain stage a spectator will probably be gratefull for a bottle that goes their way but gel wrappers, are they really so heavy they have to be thrown?
    It's harder to find things in full pockets, and jersey pockets are annoying enough as it is, IMO. Saur-Sojasun has/had a pocket just for rubbish, which might be the way to go (if not compatible with the idea of marginal gains :roll:).

http://inrng.com/2011/10/saur-sojasuns-rubbish-jersey/
    1968, human content on bitumen.
  • Paul 8v
    That's a much better idea, much less irresponsible than just launching it in to a hedgerow.
  • tom22
    tom22 Posts: 59
    I'm not sure where I read it, but I seem to remember reading that the race organisers pay for people to follow the route after the race and pick up the litter that spectators haven't already picked up for souvenirs :)
  • I watched LBL yesterday and it appeared that some riders were positively trying to chuck their bottles as far as they could into the undergrowth etc..so no chance of spectator retrieval...and not easy to clean up....it strikes me as odd that we as a society are always banging on about sustainability etc etc, low carbon footprint, then here we have highly visible littering on a grand scale....even after the organisers have issued threats to fine teams 500 euros for violations...clearly the fine is worth it to save the weight...!!! NOT!!

When the UCI can dictate almost EVERY aspect of the sport, surely this is an easy PR win for them...issue an edict...no bottle throwing/littering with gel wraps etc...get the domestiques to take it to the cars when collecting others....or am I being cynical when i suggest the sponsors wouldnt like that..how could they supply so many if heaven forbid they were "recycled"!!! :? :?
    Just my 2 pennorth!!!
  • I watched LBL yesterday and it appeared that some riders were positively trying to chuck their bottles as far as they could into the undergrowth etc..so no chance of spectator retrieval...

Don't agree with this. It seemed to me that at Liege yesterday most riders were ditching their bottles when their were spectators around. There were even riders handing their musettes to spectators once they were done with them during the feed zone. I think the message got through with this race, hopefully we can see the same at other races.
  • I agree, where there were spectators.......but in the outlying areas the bottles were thrown everywhere as described from what I saw..I agree if they gave them to fans...but whos going to slow down to do that!!!!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I agree, where there were spectators.......but in the outlying areas the bottles were thrown everywhere as described from what I saw..I agree if they gave them to fans...but whos going to slow down to do that!!!!

They have to give them a good chuck. Bottles not being chucked far enough or ricocheting back into the path of riders have caused crashes - example Cav in Dwars Door Vlaanderen last year, thanks to a bad throw from a Katusha rider
  • I agree, where there were spectators.......but in the outlying areas the bottles were thrown everywhere as described from what I saw..I agree if they gave them to fans...but whos going to slow down to do that!!!!

They don't need to slow down. Just ditch bottles when there are spectators about.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    [They don't need to slow down. Just ditch bottles when there are spectators about.
    I would say that they seemed to be doing that more at LBL this year.

I think bidons are less of an issue as fans will pick them up but gel wrappers are another thing though. Having said that, the commentator did say that the spectators would even keep those if they came from the right rider (eg Philippe Gilbert).

It doesn't look good though. Cycling has enough of an image problem without adding littering to its list of undesirable practices.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I agree, where there were spectators.......but in the outlying areas the bottles were thrown everywhere as described from what I saw..I agree if they gave them to fans...but whos going to slow down to do that!!!!

They don't need to slow down. Just ditch bottles when there are spectators about.

I guess the Vuelta would get special dispensation? ?
  • I guess the Vuelta would get special dispensation? ?

And maybe the Tour of Oman?

Tour-of-Oman-2010-peloton-stretched-out.jpg
  • I stopped reading when I read the words "carbon footprint"

The idea that 200 men ON BIKES can have a negative impact on the environment is laughable.

That's not even counting the knock on effect of people getting on their bikes themselves, though ignoring the impact the support cars have
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I stopped reading when I read the words "carbon footprint"

The idea that 200 men ON BIKES can have a negative impact on the environment is laughable.

That's not even counting the knock on effect of people getting on their bikes themselves, though ignoring the impact the support cars have

200 men on bikes, plus a few helicopters and a load of cars and motorbikes.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Paul 8v
    I stopped reading when I read the words "carbon footprint"

They might encourage people to get on their bikes but most of the time it's probably not to replace a car, more for fitness (Which is still a good thing) The example they're setting by throwing gel wrappers and bottles around really isn't great though that's what this thread is getting at.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314

Every single environmental concern that now has scientific credence was "laughable" at first.

As Angelos Epithemiou, said: "we've got to save the environmentals"...
  • The idea that 200 men ON BIKES can have a negative impact on the environment is laughable.

Excellent. I know where my gel wrappers and water bottle are going on my next sportive! Extra points the greater the distance from the road.

(I was joking of course. No way I'm doing a sportive...)