Help picking a new bike

wayneh
wayneh Posts: 4
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all, after lurking around for a while I thought I'd register and ask for some advice.
My work is doing a cycle to work scheme and after years of riding a hybrid I thought I'd get myself a new road bike but I haven't a clue what to look for and haven't ridden a road bike since I was a young teen when the gear shifters were on the down tube!!!
My work has picked Evans Cycles as their provider so I'm stuck with them as to where I buy my bike and I'm looking at spending between £700-£900. So far I like the look of either the Specialized Sectuer Sport Triple or the Allez Elite.
I've also seen a Pinnacle Evaporite One which at £900 for full carbon seems very cheap!? There are a couple of Claud Butler and Cannondales as well both of which have good reputations as companies that build bikes.
So what should I be looking out for? Is there a huge difference between Sora STi and Tiagras? I've seen people comment about gear changing is impossible in the drops with Sora but I believe this may have been sorted in the 2013 version? I have an external BB on my hybrid is this the norm for road bikes as well?
Sorry for so many questions and any advice that anyone can offer is much appreciated.

Comments