brakes problem

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
The left hand front brake pad on 1 of my bikes is rubbing on the tyre, I've tried to slide it down in the slot thing that the pad fits into but it's down as far as it'll go.... Is there anything I can do other than take the pad out and shave a bit off? What does that little screw thing on the top of the callipers do? The right one seems fine.... Anyone?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    The left hand front brake pad on 1 of my bikes is rubbing on the tyre, I've tried to slide it down in the slot thing that the pad fits into but it's down as far as it'll go.... Is there anything I can do other than take the pad out and shave a bit off? What does that little screw thing on the top of the callipers do? The right one seems fine.... Anyone?

little screw thing should be the brake adjuster, ie left/right spacing of pad to rim.
  • Headhuunter

little screw thing should be the brake adjuster, ie left/right spacing of pad to rim.
    But isn't that what barrel adjusters do? I need something that brings the pad lower on the rim
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

But isn't that what barrel adjusters do? I need something that brings the pad lower on the rim

lower on the rim normally means you need to slacken of the pads and move down like you've done, the adjuster moves the brake left/right ie bigger gap to the left less to the right or vis versa
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    I would first loosen the quick release or nuts on the front wheel, check it is seated correctly in the dropouts and tighten up again.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Have you tried grabbing the whole caliper and rotating it on the center bolt (the one that attaches it to the frame). It might be that bolt has loosened and the caliper needs re-centering.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    both of the above.

Other possibility is you need a long drop calliper, but if you've had it work before then its one of the two above assuming it ain't broke.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,692
    That f***ing little grub screw keeps unscrewing itself from my rear caliper, jamming the right hand pad against the rim making it feel like I'm riding through treacle, and at the same time rendering actual intended braking almost completely ineffective. The last thing you need at the end of a long week. This should probably be in the rants thread
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Headhuunter
    Thanks all, I realised that the Allen key bolt that actually holds the whole brake calliper to the frame was quite loose. I've tightened it now the brake seems to be in a better place although it's still not perfect but at least it's not rubbing on the tyre anymore