Wako factory blast

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited April 2013 in The cake stop
You seriously have to question the intelligence of some people.

Who was responsible for building two schools in the immediate vicinity of a factory which by the nature of what it manufactured had the potential to become one hell of a bomb, which it did. :roll:
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    This could be a code violation. I watch 'This Old House' on discovery.

But it's always easier to be wise after the event, forethought is a very expensive item.

(I'm not including you in that comment Frank)
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Think the news reports suggested 20T was stored there so you'd have to question the logic as I'm no expert but that does sound like a lot of materials to me
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Frank the tank
    Obviously we on here can only be wise after this particular event but good lord what ever were the local populous' opinion on such poor planning. If they had one and if they did were they allowed to be heard. Just seems bonkers to me.
    Tail end Charlie

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    It's not like they lack the space out there to have something like that in the middle of no where, hindsight is a wonderful thing though :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • yep..... I wonder if "we" still store 60,000,000 gallons of fuel of the M1 at Hemel Hempstead.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    yep..... I wonder if "we" still store 60,000,000 gallons of fuel of the M1 at Hemel Hempstead.

Nah were in a recession and can't afford that much now
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    the crazy bit is people filming the fire from say 200 metres away

if a chemical plant is on fire you move away.... all those different colors of smoke are different chemical burning....

and once 1 of those chemicals or compounds of the hits the flash point......... 0.2 kiloton BOOM
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    The Sheriff or whatever he was and his "it was like Ayeraaaak" statement - tw4t of the highest order.
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    The Sheriff or whatever he was and his "it was like Ayeraaaak" statement - tw4t of the highest order.

Maybe he'd been to EYErack on holiday with the National guard, and spoke from experience ? Or he just watches telly a lot ?
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    yep..... I wonder if "we" still store 60,000,000 gallons of fuel of the M1 at Hemel Hempstead.

That's just one of many sites.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    plowmar wrote:
    This could be a code violation. I watch 'This Old House' on discovery.

But it's always easier to be wise after the event, forethought is a very expensive item.

(I'm not including you in that comment Frank)

Numerous codes !!

Decent flame and gas detection could have prevented this !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Frank the tank
    MattC59 wrote:

That's just one of many sites.
    Were the locals given the opportunity to protest against it though?

I know that there is a hell of a fuss kicked up when the local council want to build an incinerator to burn rubbish and provide cheaper (allegedly) heating for the locals.
    Tail end Charlie

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    So, it wasn't radical Buddhists then?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,714
    Have to admit that I assumed it was some form of sabotage / terrorism given the fact it happened a day before the 20th anniversary of the end of the Waco siege. It just seemed too coincidental.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Waco doesn't get much good press, does it?
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Waco... of all places - couldnt' make it up :shock:
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    You seriously have to question the intelligence of some people.

Who was responsible for building two schools in the immediate vicinity of a factory which by the nature of what it manufactured had the potential to become one hell of a bomb, which it did. :roll:

Closed now but the aerosol filling company I worked at through the 90's had a factory in Wolverhampton right in the middle of a housing estate. Only about 200-300T (if I remember correctly) of LPG on site though :shock:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')