Best security devices for garage storage

j_watson
j_watson Posts: 27
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Ive recently moved house & am going about theif proofing my detatched garage.
Looking for some form of ground anchor and chain but what is best? A fat motorcycle chain? My friend has just bought a long kryptonite cable that he uses on two wall anchors.
Ill be getting a garage door defender and remote alarm.
Im guessing this may be a case of "the best you can afford" but thought id ask to see if anyone has any particular items worth considering.
VeeDubYA!

Comments

• tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    I looked into this a while ago and found that this seems to be as good as you're going to get:

Linky
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    This company sells some really solid kit http://securityforbikes.com/index.php I have got one of their chains, a shed shackle and a ground anchor. If someone ever steals the bikes I can always weigh the security in for scrap, the chain alone weighs about 40 pounds :lol:

I also have a solar charged alarm http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatalog/Solar_copy_of_5.html

Unfortunately if they really want your bike they will have it all you can do is slow them down enough so hopefully they go somewhere else. Also get some insurance that specifically covers bikes and tools mine costs me £155 a year.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    I was in a the situation not too long ago & after much searching and help from BR members think we covered pretty much every option, thread is here for info viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12907755&hilit=garage+security

Basically on the doors extra locks into the frame, bikes on racks, locked to insurance rated anchors chains and locks. Can also consider internal bar type locks if you prefer and then there are alarms, smoke cloaks, sound bombs, big dog sort of take your pick depending on what you want to spend.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Trip wire and CS gas.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Keep it in the house.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    stubs wrote:
    This company sells some really solid kit http://securityforbikes.com/index.php I have got one of their chains, a shed shackle and a ground anchor. If someone ever steals the bikes I can always weigh the security in for scrap, the chain alone weighs about 40 pounds :lol:

+1 - hadn't realised they had changed their website so didn't recognise it at first, but the service and products from Steve are fantastic - can't rate them highly enough frankly. Loads of info on their site as well about the best way to lock things up etc. which you may or may not have thought about.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Horton wrote:
    stubs wrote:

+1 - hadn't realised they had changed their website so didn't recognise it at first, but the service and products from Steve are fantastic - can't rate them highly enough frankly. Loads of info on their site as well about the best way to lock things up etc. which you may or may not have thought about.

The fella is dead keen I sent an email request for some info at about 11.30 one night and got a reply 5 mins later. Well he's either keen, an insomniac or had a nipper teething at the time
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Put a Master Blaster siren on your alarm system and put it in the garage, there's no way you can linger in there when that goes off.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    cooldad wrote:
    Keep it in the house.
    This.

I've previously posted that my Spicy was stolen despite a ground anchor and big f*ck off chain simply by sawing through the frame. In the house with the dogs and locked up as well now. Paranoid??!
  • Woody80 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Keep it in the house.
    This.

I've previously posted that my Spicy was stolen despite a ground anchor and big f*ck off chain simply by sawing through the frame. In the house with the dogs and locked up as well now. Paranoid??!

Do you need us to call someone to unlock you?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    More layers of security = better. Good ground anchors and thick chains, decent locks on the garage and an alarm. Automatic lights outside and noisy gravel on the driveway if you've got a drive. Park car close to garage door and keep keys upstairs at night, or get one of those 'stopper' posts that goes into the ground outside the garage and stops the door from being opened.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Peacocks!

and a honey badger.

You'll need to come up with a method of separating the peacocks from the honey badger though.
    Feathers. Everywhere!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Secure the garage door, as has been said a significant portion of the value is not in the frame and has no identification, so cutting the frame to steal the rest won't bother them.

Traditional bolts in all 4 corners, bolted through stiffening backplate and a padlock on each, steel plate over where the bolt goes into the frame, make sure you get a bolt with a substantial padlock plate as most are easy to cut through.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Trip wire and CS gas.

or sarin.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fatalities are awefully time consuming in paperwork, CS sounds a much better bet.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    A huge dog with a taste for blood.. in fact maybe 3 of them..
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I have all the locks and ground anchors but bolted to the wall, one the locks is a real bitch to lock and unlock as its interwined with the rear wheek and frame work, plus I have one of these:

http://www.allcocksoutdoorstore.co.uk/s ... rm-Blanks/

hooked up the bikes, trust me when these go off you'll S**T your pants so imagine the noise at 3.00am in the morning, I also have signs up near the garage stating that all trespassers will be dealt with aggressively.

No ones have my gear!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Almax do great chains and anchors/locks, they don't come cheap though http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/
    Also cheap PIRs (with the red LED taped over so as not to flag where it is...), also consider an alarmed padlock like the Oxford Boss Alarm, makes it more hassle for them.
    Just make sure you have adequate insurance cover, even well-secured bikes get stolen when the saw through the frames (they ditch the broken frame and sell the bits on eBay/Guntree - they don't care how good a frame it was).
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I fitted one of these, also a ground anchore inside.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEu9LLQpOF8

I suspect that it might be a trifle illegal over here though. Never mind.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Secure the garage doors but not in an obivous way with a big lock etc as people will figure out there is stuff inside worth stealing.

I keep mine inside the house, it has its own room :)
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I keep mine in the house, but as were moving to what is a smaller pad soon I've been looking at these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FE26BS/r ... wo=&hvqmt=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY3WJY4Bkzw
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
  • benjrush
    benjrush Posts: 35
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5a_BmL0AfA
    might add a bit of weight to your frame but i'd like to see the thief explaining this one to A&E
  • The roof is often the weak point. Too many times I have seen well protected doors just for thieves to access via the roof.

Carpet gripper rods offer a nice surprise!
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    yes the roof, sometimes we don't consider that, i would make sure that is secure too and maybe fit some of that steel mesh used when making concrete footings prehaps so they would have to cut through to get in.

Just anything that makes it more difficult for them to get into the better.

Even a secure police lockup isn't safe enough after reading the recent news item on the front page of the site.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I fitted one of these, also a ground anchore inside.

F**king pointless as they'll just use a cordless 18v cutter through the wood.

As before, layers, layers and layers. I've been done twice (now moved house) they cut through a pragmasis chain squire Cen padlock through the sound of a 130dB alarm.

I now have a Kevlar and steel mesh behind the workshop panelling, ingersol locks, ground and wall anchor, lights and CCTV. It took me 15 minutes to grind through the chain and the mesh stops everything dead. If that fails and they wake me up I have 2 beretta lightweights in the cellar.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I think I'd just let them have the bikes, we are insured. And extra security doesn't reduce the premium!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    I am not trying to scare monger, just sharing a few bits I've been mde aware of.
    Big massive bolts and highly visible security surely tells people there is something worth protecting and thus stealing inside that shed/garage. Not saying you shouldn't secure stuff but consider more discreet and equally effective methods. If the bike is that valuable or they want it bad enough they will still get it, or just come into the house and get the keys. They do it for cars and there's no reason they wouldn't do it for a £6k. I know a chap who was woken by the sound of his car driving off. Went down stairs and kettle was boiling away. The police told him that if they hadn't found car keys before kettle boiled they'd have used it to make him tell them where the keys were. And yes that was a car but a £20k Audi is harder to hide and sell on than a £0000 bike which could be sold on quickly no problem. Having family in the police I've heard similar stories before. Another guy local had his dogs drugged with meat through letter box before they broke in for his bike.
    Best bet it where possible to not let it be known you have nice bikes, etc.
    I used to have British Triathlon and British Cycling stickers in the car but apparently they are nice little signs for thieves to know you are likely to have a nice bike in the house or garage.
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    Professional gangs will get your bike if they want it, opportunist thieves can be stopped or slowed down, professional gangs are fairly rare, thieving toads are everywhere, any security helps, and multiple layers slow them down
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo