ups & downs 2013 route

pylwagl
pylwagl Posts: 35
I'm taking part in this year's Ups & Down sportive next week (standard) and have just checked the route map on the Wiggle site. I'm sure when I did the same event last year we descended Barhatch Lane, whereas this year it looks as though we will climb it. Not massively concerned tbh, but doesn't this mean like they've added another hill - assuming I'm remembering right?
Preparing to mtfu

cheers

Comments

• nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    Yep I'm signed up again for this. The epic one again. I am currently trying to shift a nasty chest infection & the flu (actual not man) & have missed quite a bit of training. The ride itself is intended as a training ride for a trip to the Alps in the summer so god knows how I will fare. Still not sure if I'm gonna be up to riding this one, but I hope so. Usually a nice ride, save for some crappy road surfaces. Good luck.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    It's always the same route - I can post the last 2 years' worth of Garmin traces for you...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Both the Epic 100 mile and the Standard 78 miler will pack a real sting in the tail with the dual challenge of Leith Hill then immediately afterwards - White Downs.

Hope the weather's as good as when I rode them!

Photos and gradient info on the blog - http://rideventures.blogspot.co.uk/
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    18% yikes. Better have my porridge in the morning!!!!!!!
    Looking forward to a great training ride.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Went to 'pre-register' on the bike today, just to stretch the legs, and got soaked and blasted by a freezing cold headwind on the way back! Checked the weather for tomorrow though, and it looks like it will be dry at least, if a little chilly in the morning. Good luck everyone.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • raymondo60
    Just a footnote to this event which I completed yesterday.

Really good route (I did the Epic)- as usual with Wiggle events, really well-signed, and the on-road marshalling was great- even had a couple of motor-cycle outriders to warn us at danger points.

The big bonus was the weather, which was dry, very bright and sunny, if a little 'crisp' at the start. However, it could not have been better and a superb day was had by all.

The route was tough by anyone's standards, and the final 10 miles included Leith Hill and Whitedowns. There were many sore legs at the end - I know mine were.

Overall a superb event, well-managed, very well attended (approx 1400 riders) and well worth the effort.
    Raymondo

• Agreed, really well done. The calibre of the riders was very impressive as well given the dreadful winter. I was passed by at least 100 guys/girls barrelling along.

New this year were the motorcylce marshalls, I've not noticed them before and they did a great job to keep the riders from over-cooking the descents.

I didn't have to walk any of the climbs and just rode within myself. Only had a 39x 26 which meant I was more chugging up the steeper parts than spinning, but after riding that 2 km long 25% wall from the Giro di Lombardia (Muro di Sormano) the week beforehand, White Down wasn't really so bad.
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.
  • littleprawn
    littleprawn Posts: 135
    A group of us did this and we nearly got the wooden spoon times for standard! :oops: We were so late we were unable to get a cup of tea at the end (they packed up!)

My first sportive and the hills were a killer and I thought the worse aspects for me were the crazy descents. We all enjoyed it but what put me off was the energy gels...electrolyte drinks...it was sugar haven! Previous to this distance was doing London Bikeathlon but that was more low key and there were some serious looking riders on Sunday.

Well organised and hope to do more future sportives!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • raymondo60
    Without wishing to sound at all patronising littleprawn, you did well to finish. The Up and Downs is a very difficult course - that long climb ciming out of Cranleigh has been the nemesis of many a rider, as has Leith Hill and Whitedowns. My humble opinion is, if you finished, congrats and move on to the next one.
    Raymondo

• littleprawn
    littleprawn Posts: 135
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Without wishing to sound at all patronising littleprawn, you did well to finish. The Up and Downs is a very difficult course - that long climb ciming out of Cranleigh has been the nemesis of many a rider, as has Leith Hill and Whitedowns. My humble opinion is, if you finished, congrats and move on to the next one.

Not patronising at all and appreciate the feedback. :)

Only got back in the saddle recently and have been cycling for a year and a half and commute to work twice a week (13/14 mile each way). I had no shame in pushing the bike for hill 4 and 6 but it will be a challenge to redo the course again in the future/revisit the hills . Previous to the ride, I went on ride myself and clocked 66 ish miles and climbed 2,500 feet (my biggest individual achievement) so for all of us to complete the course was very satisfying and a reality check for what we need to do for future sportifs (more training and more hill climbing!)
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10