Ritchie Porte - tiny thing, he is

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited September 2013 in Pro race
I was having dinner in a hotel in Maastricht this evening and Team Sky are in residence. Dave Brailsford was having a meeting in the foyer and Ritchie Porte was chatting to one of the staff. Didn't realise the Tasmanian climber was so small, bless him! I might go back and stalk them a bit more tomorrow, time permitting..... :)
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• bobhitch
    bobhitch Posts: 87
    I know, We were in Morzine last year when the Dauphine was in town - Just as good to see in the town ( big buses/spangly kit etc) as when the tour de france came to town in 2010 but without the crowds and security around the riders.
    We, too, stalked the team in their hotel and by using my 12 yr old son as the exscuse to seek autographs etc. managed to meet all team sky and chat with Sir Brad, Porte,Froome etc.
    Always strikes me how small some of them are and how skeletal and poorly looking some of the others are
    Froome was sooooo skinny as was Brad
    thouroughly nice chaps though as all took the time to chat to us . :D
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Christopher+Froome+Richie+Porte+Le+Tour+de+RyxTLTSxf_Kx.jpg

I noticed just from watching him on TV - even when he's alone on a TT bike he still looks tiny.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Christopher+Froome+Richie+Porte+Le+Tour+de+RyxTLTSxf_Kx.jpg

I noticed just from watching him on TV - even when he's alone on a TT bike he still looks tiny.

Although in that photo he is surrounded by Froome (6'1"), Wiggins (6'3"), Knees (6'4") and Eisel (6'0"). Admittedly Cav doesn't look quite as small.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    He's a 62 kg climber/TTer, what do you expect?
  • pottssteve
    philbar72 wrote:

I expected him to be taller, as outlined in my original post....
  • bobhitch wrote:
    Always strikes me how small some of them are and how skeletal and poorly looking some of the others are
    Froome was sooooo skinny as was Brad

They have Boonen's jersey from 2006 and Cancellara's from 2010 in the Flanders museum and they are tiny! They look like ones a juniors should wear.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Not that small:
    Height 1.72 m (5 ft 7 1⁄2 in)
    Weight 62 kg (140 lb; 9.8 st

Many of the older great mountain climbers were shorter and lighter
  • Not that small:

Compared to other climber-types, this. Wasn't Pantani like 56kg at a comparable height? And I've always thought Richie looked kind of 'fat' for such a capable climber. Compared to 'normal' people he's tiny though, and the overwhelming majority of pros are small in that respect - but that's primarily because we're a bunch of fatasses.

Porte_Richie_Aus_Champs12-1.jpg
    Richie+Porte+Team+Sky+Portrait+Session+MGK0CbxQkxOl.jpg
    1968, human content on bitumen.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Even someone like Henao is around the same weight as Porte, though a couple of cms shorter. Looking at another climber, Dan Martin - taller than Porte but around the same weight.

For climbers in the ballpark of Pantani, weight-wise, you have to look to real titches like Pozzivivo
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    He's got short legs. Short, muscular legs combined is what makes him look smaller and 'dumpier' than he is. Trust me, I know from experience. Although what I wouldn't give to be 5' 7" in this land of giants.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Although what I wouldn't give to be 5' 7" in this land of giants.

I can understand why you misnomered yourself - "About Up To a Cow's Bumhole" doesn't quite have the same poetry...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    pottssteve wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

You ve just been in NL too long mate! Go elsewhere for few days and reset your Height meter... :wink:

He's a whopping cm taller than me!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ddraver wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

You ve just been in NL too long mate! Go elsewhere for few days and reset your Height meter... :wink:

A GIANT amongst men :wink:
  • pottssteve
    ddraver wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

That might be true. I used to live in Hong Kong, where I looked like Gulliver compared with the locals. Here in the NL, I'm average at 183cm..... :(
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    pottssteve wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

That might be true. I used to live in Hong Kong, where I looked like Gulliver compared with the locals. Here in the NL, I'm average at 183cm..... :(

I head somewhere than 183cm is the absolute best height? - it also so happens that I'm 183cm.. fancy that! :lol:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

I head somewhere than 183cm is the absolute best height? - it also so happens that I'm 183cm.. fancy that! :lol:

It's not the best height for seeing over enormously tall Dutch people at sporting events, I can tell you that!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Yeah, that must be bad - I'm small enough (vertically) to usually fit in front of most of them...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Well....I'm 5ft 5in and 58 kg, so Porte is tall and fat, in my book.
  • pottssteve
    mike6 wrote:

Tattoo would be tall and fat in your book! :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,167
    Not that small:

Now I always thought there were 14lb in a stone so even by my rubbish maths 140lb is surely 10 stone? Then again 62kg is just over 136lb :wink:
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    pottssteve wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Tattoo would be tall and fat in your book! :lol:
    vin

Awwww...thanks, I love complements. :D

There's a lot to be said for being a short a**e. Saving the VAT by buying kids clothes, for one.
  • pottssteve
    That's true. And it's so hard to find adult clothes with tractor, dinosaur or football designs, as well....

I'm only jealous - at 6ft 1in and 79kg I climb a hill like a whale plays the bagpipes......

Steve
  • BSJuTjBCEAA-lz4.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    That photo of the Sky team crossing the finish line of the Tour on the Champs Elysees makes Porte look like the team mascot (or like they've let one of the team's kids cross the line with them in a replica jersey). I think the other riders are all sat completely upright whereas Porte is hunched forwards slightly with one hand on the bars. It makes him look absolutely tiny!

Team+SKY+crosses+the+finish+line+2013+Tour+de+France.jpg
  • To be fair to Titchy Richie he is only 1cm shorter than li'l Pete who's over on the far right of the shot
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    To be fair to Titchy Richie he is only 1cm shorter than li'l Pete who's over on the far right of the shot
    I know it doesn't give an accurate reflection of his height, it's just a number of factors in the photo combine to make him look properly titchie!
  • So this isn't him with Brad in 2012?

article-2177259-142BAF09000005DC-452_964x698.jpg
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    pottssteve wrote:
    I was having dinner in a hotel in Maastricht this evening and Team Sky are in residence. Dave Brailsford was having a meeting in the foyer and Ritchie Porte was chatting to one of the staff. Didn't realise the Tasmanian climber was so small, bless him! I might go back and stalk them a bit more tomorrow, time permitting..... :)

So did you post this while you were having this dinner?
    or Team sky are all in your bedroom as you write?

:?
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    As I stand at a height 5 ft 7"/ 170cm and 63Kg, I would like to state that Porte is no way 'tiny'.

(Or so I like to tell myself :wink: )
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Nickel wrote:
    As I stand at a height 5 ft 7"/ 170cm and 63Kg, I would like to state that Porte is no way 'tiny'.

(Or so I like to tell myself :wink: )

Yeah, understood.
    I was 7lb once.
    :)