Cheap XT M765 Brakes On Merlin (Dual Control though)

mcnultycop
mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
These seem really cheap, although they are the dual control ones with 3x9 shifters "built in".

Eighty quid front and rear.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Out-dated and never that good in the first place tbh, my dad runs them and they feel like brakes from 7 years ago, which they are. Not worth it, and even if you do run 3x9 you'll need a rapid-rise mech too to work properly. As Shimano's dub ideas go, this is one of the worst by a mile. I'd rather run cup and cone hubs than dual control and that's saying something!! :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Personal preference innit? They don't need rapid rise to work, I know plenty who run them, and love them, both ways.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    If you're on a budget and need brakes and shifters you could do worse but if it's only brakes your after you can get a set of new Deores for the same price
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Before the new generation of brakes, Shimano's were nothing special, if anything I'd say they were a fair bit behind and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole... Times change though and they have seriously stepped things up with the new ones, best out there by a distance. Magura and Formula get close but are more expensive and the formulas have had a few issues, the levers are a pretty awkward shape too and personally I've never been able to get them set up how I'd like, with Shimanos it's a doddle. Avid are just too unreliable, a pain to bleed well and again the lever shape is too flat imo.