Ultegra rear brake help!!!

Whufcrule
Whufcrule Posts: 131
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi lads my bike is only 3 months old done about 500 miles roughly in some rain and what not my problem is my rear shimano ultegra rear brake is quite hard to pull on last couple rides its got harder to pull on front one is fine so no problem there any idea lads? I've sprayed a load off muc off bike spray over the brake and the lever but its still sticking it releases fine just hard to pull on any help guys????

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Does the problem lie with pull on the rear cable rather than with the calliper itself?
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Has the inner wire of the cable sleeve broken through the ferrule ? I hasten to add that I don't mean the actual cable but the wire lining of the sleeve. Had a similar problem but tbh my cable sleeves were due to be replaced and would be surprised if your problem was the same due to the relative age of your bike
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    As nochekmate said, release the cable from the brake and see whether the lever is stiff or the brake.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Whufcrule
    Whufcrule Posts: 131
    Think it's def cable related lads
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    fairly simple to troubleshoot

Rear wheel off
    Disconnect cable at caliper
    Does calliper move in and out sweetly ?
    No.. then give it a good clean and light oil.. hopefully not the calliper... not a lot that can wrong with them essentially.
    Ok to the cable .. mole grip the cable end and pull in brake lever .. is it snagging?
    Yes.. then think about new cables inner and outer, however
    Is it perhaps a cable routing problem somewhere along the line?

Time to get your hands working..
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Ultegra are prone to sticking when subjected to a bit of harsh weather. With the wheel off try squeezing the blocks together and seeing if it closes and releases freely. If not, your best bet is to undo the cable, remove the whole brake assy from the bike and dunk the brakes in a bowl of warm soapy water, giving them plenty of squeezing to get them free again. It's easier and a more thorough job if you remove the blocks too but then you have the hassle of putting them back on in the right place the right way up facing the right way, and you might not fancy that. Give everything a good clean, dry them as best you can, leave them somewhere warm to dry properly then squirt a bit of lube round anything that moves. I find that Teflon lube that comes in a green aerosol works well.

Whilst you've got the cable off hold it with the end facing skywards and drip some oil down the outer to help things along.