Fork help for newbie

Kate_Guyana
Kate_Guyana Posts: 56
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
H there. I have just got my bike delivered and setting it all up. I really have no clue about MTBs as this is my first bike.

I've managed to get most of it together with the help of YouTube however the fork has got me a bit stumped. I have Rockshox Recon Silver TK 2012, but when I lock it (from the poploc bit on the handlebar) it has just as much give as without it. I've read around enough to know this is a safety setting so you don't bust your fork, but I would like to adjust it so that it is a bit firmer. Can someone please explain this to me in plain English? Everywhere I have found uses very technical words.

I have also noticed there is a kind of lever at the bottom of the right hand fork. WHat is this?

Finally should I be adjusting the fork for my weight? If so, how do I do this?

Sorry I know these are stupid questions, and I have read the manual, but it's not much help!

thank you very much in advance!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    First off make sure the lever is pulling the know on the forks as it should, twist it to full lock wit your hands. You the need to adjust the flood gate if that doesn't work. Could be an internal one using a Allen key
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ride the fork for a bit, unlocked - the oil from storage has to disperse to the correct areas. Also ensure that when you activate the lock, the dial on the fork top is turning fully ie to its stop. It can take 20 or 30 compressions for the oil to circulate from new.

Is it an air fork or coil fork?

The adjuster at the bottom of the leg sets how fast the fork returns (rebound adjustment). This takes some experimentation - ideally you want the fork to return fast enough for the next hit, but not too fast as to lose control, or too slow that the fork packs down over successive hits. Start in the middle of its range and see how it feels, then experiment with small adjustments.
  • supersonic
    First off make sure the lever is pulling the know on the forks as it should, twist it to full lock wit your hands. You the need to adjust the flood gate if that doesn't work. Could be an internal one using a Allen key

There is no Floodgate adjust on this fork - it is just lockout, on or off.
  • Chunkers1980
    Stand corrected. Do what ^ says
  • thanks guys.

think i need to work the fork a bit more. Seems that when poploc is on, the part on top of the right fork where the cable attaches (not sure of the same) is locking fully. It's an air fork.

It seems I need a shock pump to check the pressure. I don't have one, but I guess I'm ok to ride it for now right? I weigh about 140 pounds (10 st) so I don't think I'm going to break anything too much. Should I be adjusting it though? I can get my LBS to do this I guess.

thank for all your answers
  • Chunkers1980
    Buy a pump. You need to set the sag. This could be your problem.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Both my bikes have come with zero pressure in the forks. If yours is anywhere near that you'll not want to be riding it at all - not even on a smooth road.

You can get a shock pump for not much more than a tenner. ebay is usually pretty good. No need for an expensive one
  • supersonic
    Yes, a shock pump is essential. You want the fork to move through 25% of the available travel when you are stood on the bike.

Start at 100psi and adjust to you get this figure. Then go and ride and see how it feels.