Bike routes around Bramcote/Nottingham/East Midlands

minhster
minhster Posts: 2
Hi

I just moved to Bramcote from the US about a week ago. I went out the other day on my road bike looking for a route to ride and all the roads were either pretty bad (potholes), lack bike lanes, were heavy traffic, dirt roads, or gravel roads. Are there any smooth calm roads in the Bramcote/Beeston/Nottingham area that I can get in some miles?

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Welcome to the UK.

The back lanes you refer to were probably the A46 and A52 :lol:

For reasonable, quiet roads near you try heading out to the Gotham (pronounced Goat Ham and nothing to do with batman), East Leake, Rempstone areas.

Routes between Nottingham and Loughborough (sort of following, but avoiding the A60) and Nottingham and Ashby (avoiding the A42) are also full of useable routes.

PS: If you think the roads in Notts are bad for potholes etc. stay well away from Cheshire. :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi Welcome to the forum

Can concur with Smidsy as I live in East Leake - lots of good, fairly traffic free routes around my area. Also if you want to head a little further east there are some great routes around the Vale of Belvoir eg using Belvoir Castle as a starting point.

For your needs Beeston CC runs a sportive with routes that start close to home for you at Bramcote Hills Park.

Link to last years routes is provided here.

http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/routes

The majority of these routes are designed to avoid major roads where possible. Might be worth contacting Beeston CC to ask their advice as they are on your doorstep.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm in Kegworth myself and fecking dozens of cyclists coming past my place over the weekend :) Personally I think they're mental as it's nothing but up and down hill once you clear the village past me.

As above though: East Leake (go through every day on my commute) and you can aim out towards Keyworth, Plumtree and down to the Vale of Belvoir (pron: Beever)

I've found some great roads South of Wymeswold, North of Loughborough as well - I have a nice little 40 mile loop down almost deserted roads from mine.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    You need to head for the hills of Derbyshire :) take the minor roads out to Duffield, then Elvaston and you've got Carsington Water and Wirksworth to start with. Once you go into the Peak District you won't want to ride anywhere else :D
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    random man wrote:
    You need to head for the hills of Derbyshire :) take the minor roads out to Duffield, then Elvaston and you've got Carsington Water and Wirksworth to start with. Once you go into the Peak District you won't want to ride anywhere else :D

Good to see Nottingham people recommending Derbyshire :wink:
    Bramcote to Duffield shouldn't take too long now the wind has let up then just head Northish.
    Is there still a chaingang from Beeston area that picks up at the Broadway (A6 Derby/Allestree) on a Saturday morning ? Would help you get started.
    Tom Butcher will be along soon I'm sure to advise you of some good routes and places to meet riders.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'm from the Mansfield area but living near Oakerthorpe now, perfect bike riding area. Access to Matlock, the peaks etc. stick your bike in the car, M1, A38. Park up and then enjoy!
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    I have just PM you with details of our club as I live near by in Chilwell.

We have plenty of hills and quite roads, but roads in the UK are not smooth!