3 days Before!! OMG!!!

saprkzz
saprkzz Posts: 592
edited April 2013 in Amateur race
Well, months of winter training, finally going for my first race, and On Monday night, come down with a blocked ear, which feels like an ear infection (have docs tomorrow to confirm), generally feel like crap!!..

So tonight is the night, I was driving a friend up there to race together, so have decided to still attend but what woud you do??

Man the Fudge up, get on the bike and see if I can hang on? or go up for the expereince, watch my mate race and enjoy it for him, get the docs to sort my ear out and race in round 2 next week?

Have a feeling i know what the answer will be?.. but has anyone else raced feeling like crap?. or do you wait until you feel like iron mike tyson? (ok even he must get ill) :lol::lol:

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If you really feel crap, don't bother. You aren't paid to race!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    NapoleonD wrote:
    If you really feel crap, don't bother. You aren't paid to race!

Yeah I agree, I have blocked ear which is causing tinnitus, slight pains, and i suppose slight cold like symptoms, generally feel ok, apart from what i mention, Just dont know if its something I am going to regret pushing myself to my limits.. so confused!
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Pushing yourself whilst ill will only pro-long your illness... Rest will make you recover much quicker.... My advice, sit it out, rest, recover and recover faster, put in more quality training before the next race and you'll be in a much better situation!
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    If you can ride & it doesn't affect your i.e. your balance or ability to hear calls from other riders then race.

However as you say you feel 'crap' assume that it will affect you & you will just end up hating you first race. Take your friend watch him/her race, get better and you'll be more hungry to race in 2 weeks time.

Take either option but I'd take the second one if I were in our place.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    In the New Year I felt like crap for about a month, kept racing though and finished on the podium a couple of times. I think it depends on what is wrong with you and how hard you will be needing to push yourself - lower cat circuit races can be pretty easy going once you know how to handle yourself in a group and have a decent understanding of race tactics. One race I came second in I pretty much just rolled round for an hour and a half, chased a lone attacker down with a couple of laps to go then put what I had left into the sprint. Fact I had a stinking cold didn't really make a lot of difference for effectively one 5 minute sub-threshold effort and one 30 second venture into the red zone. An ear infection sounds bad though, doesn't that affect your balance?