Best pedal's / clips / shoes for a beginner?

Cupras
Cupras Posts: 145
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi after a week of owning my new bike I've decided I should have some riding shoes but what type is best?
I've noticed a lot of people use the MTB shoes rather than the road shoes is there any reason for this?
What type of pedal is easier to clip out of?

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Mostly because MTB shoes are much easier to walk with, and also (being double-sided) easier to clip in than most road pedals.

SPD and equivalent pedals are far more practical, and still perform pretty well in the grand scheme of things. I never quite understand why so many people who never race use dedicated road pedals. Is that extra 1W of power on your Sunday ride really worth 30 yards of slow speed wobbling as you set of from every set of traffic lights on your commute, staring at your feet?

One thing I would do is try to get shoes with stiff soles. SPDs are miserable on very cheap shoes because the sole flexes and you can feel the cleat through it. With stiff soles, the load is transferred to the entire sole, and the cleat size becomes irrelevant.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    SPDs - cheap (M520s are £17 on eBay), robust (the cleats are metal), and can be used with MTB shoes (better for walking in). Tension is easily adjustible so easy to clip out of.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Cupras wrote:
    Hi after a week of owning my new bike I've decided I should have some riding shoes but what type is best?
    I've noticed a lot of people use the MTB shoes rather than the road shoes is there any reason for this?
    I commute in MTB shoes (SPD) rather than Road (SPD-SL). Have road shoes for the weekend bike, though I'll happily commute in them too.
    MTB shoes are generally a bit easier to walk in than road shoes, which can be better if you're only wearing them for a 20 minute commute with lots of clipping in and out and then walking through the office. SPDs can get pedals that you can clip in on both sides as well (Shimano M520), SPD-SL only clip in from one side. So again, if you're constantly clipping in and out then just being able to stamp on the pedal can be nice.

Honestly though, there's not much in it. People with no pace ride in both, and pros ride in both.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • meanredspider
    TGOTB wrote:
    I never quite understand why so many people who never race use dedicated road pedals. Is that extra 1W of power on your Sunday ride really worth 30 yards of slow speed wobbling as you set of from every set of traffic lights on your commute, staring at your feet?

I thought the same until I decided to try SPD-SLs properly. They do give a more stable platform for your foot but not worth it if you're doing an urban commute as clipping in and out is harder. I use SPDs all winter (on my MTB) and SPD-SLs all summer on the V.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    I would say it's a good decision: it will help you significantly.
    I can't think of a pedal which would make it difficult to unclip however you need to get use to them, best to unclip one leg preemptively when you approach a situation where you might have to get off.
    Lot's of people use mtb shoes as they tend to have a thicker flexible rubber sole, some of them recessed to take the full cleat. This will enable you to walk just as you would with any normal shoes rather than tiptoe as you would do with a road shoes which have stiff and hard soles. Walking almost any distance wearing a road shoes is a pain, you are walking on the (plastic) cleat which will wear out much faster because of that.
    Most of the road pedals will have a tension adjuster which will enable you to unclip with much less force.
    I would recommend to have a look on the forum, you can pick up some real deals and try them before you get some nice (expensive) one.
    Good luck, let me know if you need any more info
    T
  • Cupras
    Wow thanks for all the replies very helpful.
    I have been looking at both types but since I posted this I have looked at the m520's.
    The Shimano M520's as suggested look like a right bargain.
    If I order these what would be a good starting point for the shoes that go with them?
    Ill be changing shoes once I get to work so I don't need to wear them all day just for the ride itself.

For reference my commute has maybe 4 points where I stop (lights junctions).
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Cupras wrote:
    [...]
    If I order these what would be a good starting point for the shoes that go with them?
    [...]
    Best if you have a local bike shop to try a few makes and sizes; if you're on a tight budget, Sports Direct have Muddy Fox shoes for £20-30, but you'd be better off adding a few quid and getting something with from a decent brand. If you're patient and don't mind sending kit which doesn't fit back using free returns, most of the internet shops have some good deals - example at size 43/9.5.
  • meanredspider
    BTW - if you're buying the M520s (especially from eBay suppliers) make sure they include cleats (they should - but some don't)
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    M520's for me too. I got mine from Evans (as in going in to an actual shop) for £16 when I got my LG MTB shoes. I really recommend going into somewhere and trying shoes- they are funny shapes and sizes and a decent shop (the Evans in Wimbledon isn't too bad!) will help you choose the right ones. I find mine really comfy and can happily walk decent distances in them (as I had to when I had a flat based disaster not so long ago).

As for why? I am faster in cleats and also I find I am using more different muscles with a smoother cycling action. Makes it more fun too! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    A520s are a nice compromise - can use MTB (SpD) shoes but they have a platform to push against. It make them 1 sided but still very easy to clip in and out of.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    CRC have the 520's for £17 posted, great pedal, I commute daily on them!
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    t4tomo wrote:
    A520s are a nice compromise - can use MTB (SpD) shoes but they have a platform to push against. It make them 1 sided but still very easy to clip in and out of.

I have found that for a quick trip I can cycle on the M520's anyway, without the cleats. Just stick my trainered feet on top of them and off I go! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I use Shimano MT71 MTB shoes and SPD pedals for the commuter bike.

I think I'm going to give Speedplays a go for the new best bike...
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    dhope wrote:
    Cupras wrote:
    I commute in MTB shoes (SPD) rather than Road (SPD-SL). Have road shoes for the weekend bike, though I'll happily commute in them too.
    MTB shoes are generally a bit easier to walk in than road shoes, which can be better if you're only wearing them for a 20 minute commute with lots of clipping in and out and then walking through the office. SPDs can get pedals that you can clip in on both sides as well (Shimano M520), SPD-SL only clip in from one side. So again, if you're constantly clipping in and out then just being able to stamp on the pedal can be nice.

Honestly though, there's not much in it. People with no pace ride in both, and pros ride in both.

When have you seen a pro riding SPDs?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    When have you seen a pro riding SPDs?
    He probably meant pro-MTBers, but pros have even been known to use platforms...

article-2151572-13594BB3000005DC-753_634x419.jpg
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    SPD for me, I'd race & Sunday ride in SPD too if I could find a stiff/comfortable shoe that fit my odd feet. SPD-SL does my nut in, shin bruises to prove it :oops:

I'd be surprised if there was a measurable power loss.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    I used to use SPDs then started getting a burning sensation in my foot just above the clip in point after a long ride. SO switched to SPD-SL which I think are just the b*llocks. Not too difficult to clip into from lights either !
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    TGOTB wrote:
    I never quite understand why so many people who never race use dedicated road pedals. Is that extra 1W of power on your Sunday ride really worth 30 yards of slow speed wobbling as you set of from every set of traffic lights on your commute, staring at your feet?
    I've been using Look Keo pedals for a while now - they hang down with the rear of platform angled towards the floor near the back wheel, the tip invitingly pointed upwards towards a point some distance ahead of the bike, ready for the upcoming foot to meet the pedal and rotate it forward to a level status as the cleat hooks in and secures itself, all in a neat smooth flowing action. I don't know where this 30 yards of wobbling comes from; even setting off on a hill your free foot is in and ready to shove the bike along inside half a turn.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    CiB wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    I've been using Look Keo pedals for a while now - they hang down with the rear of platform angled towards the floor near the back wheel, the tip invitingly pointed upwards towards a point some distance ahead of the bike, ready for the upcoming foot to meet the pedal and rotate it forward to a level status as the cleat hooks in and secures itself, all in a neat smooth flowing action. I don't know where this 30 yards of wobbling comes from; even setting off on a hill your free foot is in and ready to shove the bike along inside half a turn.
    From my own perspective I totally agree. I had Look Deltas for a while, and never really had an issue (though I'm now on Speedplay for the race-oriented bikes). However the fact is that every time I leave a set of lights in Central London I seem to be surrounded by people who wobble away from the lights at 5mph, staring at their feet, whilst struggling to clip in. I'm quite sure that most of these people don't need the performance/stability of proper road pedals, and would be far better off with SPDs.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • meanredspider
    I find the trick with clipping in it to have some resistance in the pedal. Start off in too low a gear and you're chasing the pedal with your foot...
  • Cupras
    Ok Ive ordered some SPD's with cleats now I am looking for some shoes. The muddyfox ones someone mentioned earlier have shocking reviews so I will give them a miss.
    I am a UK size 11 so any recommendations?
  • meanredspider
    You probably won't go too far wrong with Shimano but my advice is to try some - many cycle shops (most?) will stock them. Even the road shoes at the cheaper end of the Shimano range will take an SPD cleat.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    How about these?

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... goryID=218

I like them. I have a pair of Sidi's which I much prefer as they fit my foot better. I find the toebox of the Specialized too wide, but they are a nice shoe and as I wear them in winter I often use double layers of socks so all's good.
  • Cupras
    I'm going to my local bike shop tomorrow (where I got my bike from) to see what they have. I do like the ones above but I do need to try some on I suppose.