Damaged tyre - safe to ride or replacement required?

BerksBiker
BerksBiker Posts: 3
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone,

New to the forums and to biking!

I was cleaning my bike (Trek Madone 3.1) earlier today when I noticed a cut in the rear tyre. The cut is reasonably deep and has left a little flap, underneath which the tyre cord is visible. I'm just wondering whether it is safe to continue cycling on this tyre or whether I need to get it replaced ASAP? I'm more than happy to fork out for a new tyre if needed, but equally don't want to waste money if it isn't!

The tyre is a Bontrager R1 700x23c that has only just done 800 miles.

If the advice is to change it can anyone recommend a good replacement? Also, would you advise changing the font tyre as well or can I continue using my front R1 until it needs replacing?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my post and answer my questions

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    When pumped up to your riding pressure does it bulge? Essentially don't ride it if it is bulging, if it doesn't bulge then it'll be fine, however you will lose a tiny amount of puncture resistance.
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Woah!

If I were you I would definitely get a new tyre. That cut is big, looks like its making its way to the sidewall (not good) and could get bigger at anytime. For the sake of a few quid I would prefer to cycle with confidence rather than risk a high speed accident due to a sidewall blow out.

Just think, your tyres are the only part of the bike in contact with the road so are arguably the most important 'component' to look after.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    as above - the tyre is junk and possibly dangerous.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'd probably have a go at sealing it with rubber solution and then keep a close eye on it. But then I'm an idiot. I had a tyre fail on the sidewall once. The wires broke and the frayed ends caused the tube to fail. So I booted it with some cardboard that was in my pack and carried on. I then renewed the cardboard (a few times...) and carried on for a couple of weeks puncturing several times until eventually one inner tube exploded and I decided it was time to replace the tyre...... By that time the split must have been a good 1.5cm long!

*though, to be fair, in reality I just hadn't got a spare tyre and was waiting for a replacement. Silly me!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Rolf F wrote:
    I'd probably have a go at sealing it with rubber solution and then keep a close eye on it. But then I'm an idiot. I had a tyre fail on the sidewall once. The wires broke and the frayed ends caused the tube to fail. So I booted it with some cardboard that was in my pack and carried on. I then renewed the cardboard (a few times...) and carried on for a couple of weeks puncturing several times until eventually one inner tube exploded and I decided it was time to replace the tyre...... By that time the split must have been a good 1.5cm long!

*though, to be fair, in reality I just hadn't got a spare tyre and was waiting for a replacement. Silly me!

You sound like the cycling equivalent of MacGyver.

I salute thee.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    When pumped up to your riding pressure does it bulge? Essentially don't ride it if it is bulging, if it doesn't bulge then it'll be fine, however you will lose a tiny amount of puncture resistance.
    If it's not bulging and you think it will be OK to ride, then you could try sticking the flap down with some epoxy resin or super glue. But I would think about buying new tyres now so that you have them to fit when it does go.

As for tyre recommendations, there are plenty of threads on here, use the Search option above "Members FAQ". You'll find it depends on the type of riding you are after, such as:

Commuting - Continental Gatorskin,
    General all rounder - Continental 4 Seasons, Schwalbe Durano, Michelin Pro Endurance
    Faster summer tyre - Continental GT400S, Schwalbe Ultremo ZX, Michelin Pro Comp, Vitoria Open Corsa CX

Those seem to be the most popular on this forum, but everyone has their favourites.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I'd be replacing that tyre.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Gizmodo wrote:
    If it's not bulging and you think it will be OK to ride, then you could try sticking the flap down with some epoxy resin or super glue.

Neither choice of glue is really appropriate. Epoxy might work, superglue is plain daft!
    Ride hard wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

You sound like the cycling equivalent of MacGyver.

I salute thee.

And I thank you. Obviously I'm not totally mad. The split was on the rear. If it had been on the front I'd have swapped the tyres round - safety first and all that. :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Hi everyone,

Thank you for your responses.

I can't see any bulging, however, I've noticed another area of the sidewall that has a pretty bad nick with some cord showing so to be on the safeside have ordered a GP4000S.

Thanks again!
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    If you are going to glue up a tyre, don't use inflexible glues like epoxy or cyanoacrylate. Rubber solution glue is what you need.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    A friend swears by a new 'flexible' version of super glue. Yet to try it myself though.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_ug_ ... ontrol.htm