disc brakes causing much stress!

Airbornerodent
Airbornerodent Posts: 54
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I've just got a new mountain bike with disc brakes and can't even get my front wheel on as the pads are too close together and I can't get the disc in. It's brand new; it only arrive today but as i'm more used to road bike brakes, I haven't got a clue how to get the gap big enough. I did faff on with some oil disc brakes a couple of years ago and they were never the same again, so i'm very cautious about just getting the spanners out and tinkering away with them.

The brakes are formula f1, and it's the front brake.
Thanks for you responses in advance...!
Andy

Comments

• compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Get a kinfe wrapped in a rag in there and ease the pads apart until the gap is wide enough.

If you have some old pads, stick these in to protect your newer ones
  • BlueDynamo
    BlueDynamo Posts: 143
    I've had a similar problem so have followed the advice from another thread and and used and old pad and a screwdriver to lever the pistons back into the caliper. Hopefully it'll make a massive amount of difference when I comes to reinstall my wheels.
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

Talk about first world problems."

The_Boy, 13/4/14, Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler" thread
  • desmorrow
    desmorrow Posts: 115
    yeah, I had the same prob when I bought a second hand boardman... the guy had sprayed the discs with copious amounts of WD40 lol.....

Pop out the wheel, the try reset the pads as best you can - best using old pads and a screwdriver if u can... pop the wheel back in and see if it helps... if not, post back on here - there a couple of other things to try if that doesn't quite work. But don't worry - it's a common problem that just takes a bit of tinkering.